Monday, 16 January 2017

New Knits & Free Finds


Fingerless gloves have to be one of my favourite knits. They're quick, practical and ideal tv-knitting during episodes of Sherlock - what's not to like? I've completed two pairs already this year and am planning more. 

For the first pair I returned to one of my favourite patterns by Twisted Stitches, which uses 4ply sock yarn and 2.5mm dpns. Instead of my usual choice of Colinette 'Jitterbug' yarn, I used some stash yarn in the form of Cascade  'Heritage Paints' that a friend gave to me years ago. 



In contrast for the second pair with their cable pattern, I used some chunky Rowan 'Felted Tweed' in the 'Aubergine' colourway, which knitted up far quicker than the thinner 4ply! 



The pattern is 'Beech' from Rowan Knitting Magazine No. 50; again knitted on dpns but 8mm this time. 


Photo source
Now, I love the colour and texture of the Rowan yarn, but I found it so splitty to work with and it broke at inconvenient times when I was doing the cable pattern, which resulted in me having to rip back a few rows to re-join the yarn. I wasn't happy about that! However, these are the ideal mitts to wear when driving Archie the Morris.

I'm having a bit of a creative rush this month, as I'm also doing some embroidery (I'll save that for another post perhaps) and I've got back into life-drawing at long last. 

I've always enjoyed life-drawing and went to various classes over the years, but it was after talking to a friend who also goes to the same class, that gave me the impetus to sign up for the spring term. My first lesson was last week and I really enjoyed it, getting back into the flow, working with charcoal and pastels.



Finally, I'll end this on a 'kindness of strangers' note. Walking back home on Saturday I noticed a sign outside an open garage reading: "Free - please take otherwise its going to the tip". Well, you can't resist an invitation like that, can you?

There wasn't much there, but I did leave with a hoe (practical eh?) and these lovely 1950s/60s glass Christmas baubles and artificial berries:



Luckily I had a pen on me, so scribbled a few words of thanks under the original message. 

Wasn't that a lucky find?

22 comments :

  1. What fabulous finds! Your gloves are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I think I was in the right place at the right time there!

      Delete
  2. Love those baubles! I'm sure the person would be glad to know they're going to an appreciative home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made my day! I hope that the thank you message and smiley face made theirs too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, they don't come along like this that often! xx

      Delete
  4. You've been very creative indeed! The gloves are gorgeous! What a lucky find those free Christmas baubles were. Imagine that they would have ended up in the tip ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the creativity burst will last! Yes, that would have been a shame with them ending up in the tip xx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous baubles! what a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were at the bottom of a box covered over with modern decs so I had to burrow deep to find them.

      Delete
  6. I love that you left a nice note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan :-) I thought it might make them smile!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I envy you those baubles! Well done for rescuing those from the tip.

    Cascade Heritage Paints is lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim - rescued from the jaws of the crusher eh?

      Delete
  8. What a lucky find indeed! Those baubles were definitely too lovely to throw away. Such a shame the Rowan wool was splitty as the finished gloves look so good.

    I also love all your life drawings - strong, with a good sense of weight! You're making me miss my art school days as I really enjoyed life drawing classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - I'm so loving the art classes, they're what I needed to flex my drawing and also meet like-minded people.

      Delete
  9. We've got a neighbour who does that, too! I'm constantly coming back with knackered tea chests and odd doors.
    Love the mitts, I wish I could knit.
    Your art is wonderful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend found a vintage Kenwood mixer left out for the taking a few years ago - that was lucky and it works too xxx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...