Saturday, 31 December 2016

That Was The Year: 2016


Well, its that time of year for me to have my annual blog review of 2016's makes, finds and general doings, and I don't know about you, but for me this year has flown past at a ridiculously fast rate.

2016 saw me hardly doing much knitting as I was pooling all my efforts into getting the business up-and-running, working on the house and spending a lot of time outdoors in the orchard trying to tame its overgrown and long-forlorn corners, and rejuvenate the neglected fruit trees.



I started a few knitting projects, but they fell by the wayside (as usual). Those that I did complete were my teacosies, Fair Isle beret and a last minute Christmas present for Monkeychild: a mermaid blanket. She'd seen these on the 'net and suggested that one would make a welcome present. There was no way I was going to buy one when I could knit something far better (and we all know that homemade presents are the best!), so I found a free pattern on the Black Sheep Wools website (Link), brought the yarn and on the 24th November cast on for the blanket. I didn't finish it until the 23rd December which was very close to the wire and was the most concentrated amount of knitting that I've done in a long time; but it was so worthwhile to see the look of happiness on Monkeychild's face when she unwrapped it on Christmas morning!



Sewing fared similarly, with my 1970s maxi dress that turned out to be 'meh', Monkeychild's Alice in Wonderland dress also based on a '70s pattern (these were my #VintagePledge2016 projects) and her summer romper suit. 


To be honest, I haven't been visiting the charity shops as often as in previous years so my finds have been rather sparse in comparision. Though I have had some great buys in those that I visited and other places; here's some of my favourites...


From Top left: 1970s Jeff Banks blouse, 1940s evening dress, 1970s Indian print dress, Pied a Terre boots & 1930s enamel sign

However, being outside in the orchard either working, playing or relaxing has been one of the year's greatest satisfactions that we've all enjoyed as a family. 


From digging up the brambles at the start of the year, evolving the greenhouse border from an overgrown rubblepile to a colourful flowerpatch, watching the wildlife appear and just sitting outside with a tea first thing in the morning (or a beer in the evening) - simple pleasures that are truly the best and what I'm looking forward to the most in 2017.



So on this final note, the VK household wish you and yours all health and happiness for 2017...



19 comments :

  1. There is nothing to beat being outside I think the good it does is totally underestimated. I would say you post shows quality over quantity, especially on the charity shop finds! Happy New Year to you all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss M. On the chazza front I'd be happy with quality over quantity again this year too!

      Delete
  2. My best wishes for the New Year to you and yours.
    Cheers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And best wishes for a happy 2017 to you and yours too Mum :-D

      Delete
  3. You made a mermaid tail!!! That's very cool. Best wishes to you and the family for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely quality over quantity with your chazza buys, I love all your 2016 finds.
    I agree with Gisela, spending time outdoors does us the world of good.
    Happy 2017 to you and yours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree - I'm so looking forward to pottering about in the garden in the spring! Happy New Year to you and Jon too xx

      Delete
  5. How fab is that mermaid blanket! You did some pretty fab finds too: love that enamel sign and the 1940s evening dress. I'm glad you enjoyed spending time in the orchard. If I had an outdoor space like that, I'd be there all the time too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love that mermaid tale!! all the best from Switzerland, Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Christa and welcome to my blog too :-D

      Delete
  7. You've had a really productive year - just looking after an orchard is a massive amount of work, without all the other stuff on top. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim - I've got big plans for the orchard this year and I'm hoping that all that hard graft will help me shift a few pounds too!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year, lovely!! You were busy and the orchard is a dream. I saw Monkeychild's mermaid tale on Ravelery and was blown away. It's fab.
    Here we go for 2017 and oh yeah...SEE YOU I ON FEBRUARY!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really looking forward to seeing you in Feb. Reckon that our first stop will be a cafe for a good gossip, cuppa and cake! xx

      Delete
  9. I'm so jealous of your orchard, a pint sitting there on a summer's evening - heaven. Monkeychild look so happy with her blanket. well done for getting it finished. CN x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...