Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Hey Babe - Scents of Yesteryear


I was browsing online t'other day looking for presents, when I did a double-take...Babe perfume is back! Cue online order being immediately placed.

Apparently it was reissued last year, so I'm late on the catch-up.

Babe has to be one of the scents that brings childhood memories and those of my teens back to me; along with my Mum's Jontue perfume and my first bottle of patchouli oil brought by Dad for my 13th birthday (I was into heavy metal by then, so a canvas school bag adorned with biro'd band logos of Iron Maiden and the like, had to be liberally doused in patchouli).

My Auntie used to wear Babe and I can remember seeing a whole range of it in her bathroom; from those round cardboard tubs of talc to deodorant. Having a hug from her invariably meant me breathing in the heady scent of Babe and connecting it to be loved.

The ads for it used to pop up in Mum's magazines too, with the face of Babe being the stunningly beautiful Margaux Hemingway with her razor-sharp cheekbones.

Image Source: Link

At the time my pocket money didn't stretch to a bottle of Babe, but it was a scent that I coveted. But thirty-odd years later, I now have my own bottle! And yes, Babe does smell how I vaguely remember it and ever since it arrived, I've been daily spritzing myself with it!

Now Babe's back, I'm hoping that Limara bodyspray will also make a welcome return. 

Image Source: Link
This used to be a staple in school/college/work bags and getting ready to go out involved spraying myself in a cloud of 'American Dream' (the pale yellow can), which was my favourite.

It also had one of the best ever animated tv ads, with a Blondie-esque woman spraying gusts of Limara over herself before kissing awake a sleeping man in a gothic castle - a female take on Sleeping Beauty.

The ad's soundtrack was exceptional though, as it used an earlier 1981 recording of Remember My Name by singer Stevie Lange. If I could have chosen a singing voice, it would have been Stevie's without a doubt -she really belts it out.





20 comments :

  1. I remember Babe. Who remembers Charlie and Aqua Manda

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie - yes! My friend used to love that xx

      Delete
  2. I remember Babe! I was loyal to Charlie in my youth. Loved the Limara adverts but the spray always made me sneeze. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe, Charlie and I think there was Cie as well - the girls toilets at school were a haze of body spray and hairspray! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh lordy, the name Limara didn't ring any bells but that advert certainly did.

    Aqua Manda and Goya Black Rose are both back too. I'm actually tempted to get a bottle of Black Rose. I've never tried Babe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe is quite a powdery sent imo, but its not long-lasting though. Have to wait until they release 'Babe - Eau de Parfum' !!

      Delete
  4. I must say I don't know the scent, but I love its packaging and the vintage ad. Isn't it amazing how a scent can transport you back. It's a very powerful memory carrier. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its so true about scent transporting you back. Lily of the valley is another one for me that reminds me of childhood xx

      Delete
  5. Ha! Limara, a blast from the past! I loved Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends at school wore Charlie and I always associate that with her

      Delete
  6. Never heard of the scent before but love the look of the packaging. It's funny how certain smells can be so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't particularly remember Babe, and powdery perfumes are not my thing, but I wore Charlie and Aqua Manda. From the name, I wouldn't have recalled Limara, but as soon as I played the ad, I said "of COURSE!" as it immediately transported me back, so thanks for that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ad is aclassic, but not as good as the PG Tips monkeys though...."Avez vous un cuppa?"

      Delete
  8. Haven't heard of Babe before - what does it smell like? I remember Limara though as it was the main competitor to impulse back in the day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe has got a floral powdery smell. I usually prefer woody and 'green' scents, but I'll make an exception for Babe

      Delete
  9. I did love a bit of Babe. Charlie was always a Chrimbo present and Maxi was for birthdays! I do recall that Limara was spayed all over the place and school and my mate who had the best voice in the choir used to belt out the song at any opportunity.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memories eh? I reckon that the amount of aerosol bodyspray and hairspray from secondary school girls loos in the 80s probably did the most damage in relation to ozone layer depletion! xx

      Delete
  10. Babe, Charlie, Love's Baby Soft. They've all had a small comeback.

    I miss Diane von Furstenberg's Tatiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its good to see some of these 'older' scents being brought back isn't ? :-)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...