Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Fly on the Wall

This is a catch-up post as its a month since I last blogged and I thought I'd write a bit about what I've been buying, getting up to and the like.

First off, I treated myself to a whopper of a sign for the kitchen to celebrate my first year of being self-employed. 



We've had an empty wall above the kitchen worktop and for the past couple of years I've set my sights on finding an appropriate enamel sign, but within budget - some of those advertising signs can go for hundreds of pounds!

A few weeks ago we visited a reclamation yard as Husband wanted to source some iron guttering down-pipes for the summerhouse project (that's another future blog post!). This sign caught my eye immediately and though not enamel, I thought it was a great sign-writing example and loved how worn it was. It was a perfect fit for the empty wall space too. After a bit of friendly haggling it was mine and it cost far less than a vintage enamel sign of the equivalent size.

I thought it looked as if it dated from the 1950s and a bit of online research confirmed this, as Campden Dairies Ltd. was established in 1954, but is no longer trading. 



An earlier online buy was a far smaller enamel sign, but one that I thought was quite apt as a Morris Minor owner...



...but things are not as they seem - its actually an advertisement for DeReszke 'Minor' cigarettes! This one has joined the rest of the collection on the back wall.

Work's been keeping me occupied too. I've been out and about in some lovely locations...





...and had some grunty though gorgeous company whilst surveying for bats (pig poo + flies = happy bat feeding):



I love pigs.

Last week I started on this year's first batch of jam - blackberry with berries picked from the orchard. Once the apples are ready I plan to make some chutney as I've only one one jar left from last year.



We've been out and about too and visited the South Cerney Steam Rally with fellow conspirator in knitting and heavy metal: Gilly B and her kids. One of the things I love about the rally is the rides, especially the dodgems. Monkeychild thoroughly enjoyed being 'driven' by Gilly's son H and crashing (on purpose!) into the other kids' dodgem cars.



One event that Monkeychild didn't accompany us to was to see The Damned at Gloucester Guildhall. Husband and I had a brilliant time and the band were on top form both musically and with the banter. I just love those gigs where you can laugh with the band and dance to some bloody amazing tunes.



I'll finish with a classic that gave the Guildhall's floor a good pounding:






14 comments :

  1. Your signs are fab! They go for silly money so you did well to get a good price.
    Ugh bats, they dive bomb around my garden every night at this time of year, the bat man on Simon Mayo this week said they are looking for food and mates...I wish they'd look somewhere else. Your jam looks pretty damned good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bats are storing up fat stores before they start to hibernate - I find them fascinating creatures. Thanks - I've yet to taste the jam as I thought I'd let it 'mature' a little, so I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

      Delete
  2. What a fab sign well done you on such a great find. My brother has bats in his loft, my sister in law is not so happy about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its surprising how many people do have bats in their lofts and live quite happily with them, until they have to replace the roof or build a loft conversion. That's when the hassles start!

      Delete
  3. I love those enamel signs, they're gorgeous! Do you watch American Pickers? It makes me want to hire a van and do a road trip round the States.
    Those pigs are adorable. I love bats, except when the little buggers get in through the window and fly around the room for hours!
    That jam looks like a work of art and yay! to The Damned! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband loves American Pickers although the guys on it irritate me, I much prefer their woman colleague and love it when she gets the good deal instead of them! xxx

      Delete
  4. Those signs are lovely and I really love bats! There was a pair flying about here when we were watching the international Space station go over a couple of months ago xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching bats flying about too, especially when they get really close any fly over my head xx

      Delete
  5. I love both signs, as I'm a sucker for those myself. We're still on the lookout for the perfect one, but if we do we really need to free up some wall space ... The Damned! That brings back happy memories from my punk days ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect sign - you'll know it when you see it! xxx

      Delete
  6. Love the signs. That big 'un is a beauty and looks right at home.I'm a nutter for them too. Pity they are usually way beyond my budet. Love bats too. There were lots dive bombing us on holiday. A friend has them in the loft of a house he is wanting to demolish...yeah, right! Gotta love the Damned. Still have such a crush on Mr V!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous signs, pigs and bats, beautiful views, carousel horses, jam making AND The Damned - now that's what I call a good round up post! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...