Monday, 8 August 2016

Sew Easy: New Look 6389


I recently asked Monkeychild to pick out a sewing pattern for a summer outfit. My only conditions was that it had to be age appropriate and easy to sew. Luckily she choose a playsuit with an elasticated waist from the New Look 6389 pattern.

I was pleased that she choose this as its a versatile pattern, which looks appropriate for a tween and not too grown up. Its also a practical cover-up and easy to change into after swimming, which is what Monkeychild had in mind.

For the fabric, we visited Fabric Land in Bristol as it stocks a wide range of fabrics at really great prices; its one of my favourite shops. Monkeychild chose an Aztec print jersey at £3.99 a metre and I only had to buy a metre and half, so I was happy with that.



As the pattern pieces for View D are for ages 8 to 16, I didn't want to cut them up too much as I'll probably re-use them as Monkeychild grows. Instead, I folded the pattern pieces to follow the cutting line for age 10, leaving it intact for the larger sizes. I only had to make a few strategic cuts here and there, but these can be easily taped up later. 

I'd never sewn with jersey before, so was a bit hesitant about its stretch and how it would sew up. Luckily Husband had just treated me to a new Janome sewing machine and I first put it to good use by using its knit stitch to finish the edge of the cut out pieces before seaming. 

I pattern matched the front okay, but matching the back pieces was a bit iffy, which I put down to me pulling at the fabric too much when sewing up.



The pattern was really straightforward and was just what I needed to cleanse my sewing palate after the #VintagePledge 'Disaster Dress'



The outfit had its first outing on Charnmouth beach on our recent holiday in Dorset and it stood up to its rigorous sand and seawater test!




16 comments :

  1. Cute! What a great pattern and love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was well pleased with her choice of fabric too!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely outfit.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkeychild looks adorable! And Dorset is lovely all year round. I hope your holiday was as successful as Monkeychild's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had a brilliant time and the weather to match. Even the sea felt relatively warm and that's saying something!

      Delete
  4. Really nice! A good idea to keep the pattern with all sizes intact too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz and yes, its an idea I'll definately be using again

      Delete
  5. What a cute playsuit, and Monkeychild looks very pretty in it. I love that last photo of her in front of those beach huts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were really cool beach huts, sadly didn't see any of them open so that I could have a look inside!

      Delete
  6. That is one cute playsuit, expertly modeled by the divine Monkeychild! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so incredibly adorable! I absolutely love the fabric pattern and looks like such a great pattern to make, so versatile. A place called Fabric Land sounds like my heaven! XxxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get a lot of use out of that pattern! If you're into your sewing, I can recommend checking out Fabric Land's online shop - there's so much choice.

      Delete
  8. How cute does she look, bless her!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...