Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Yonder Hills


The latest in surrealist headgear

Where did May go to? 

One of my favourite months passed by quicker than a rat up the proverbial drainpipe.

Work and home-life have been keeping me busy and although I kept meaning to blog I felt that I didn't have much to write about, so blogging activities were relegated to the 'pending' part of my brain.

But I'm back with a post about yesterday's trip to one of my favourite shopping destinations: Malvern Flea Market in the Three Counties Showground, nestled beneath the impressive Malvern Hills. 

Husband was on look-out for some garden chairs and having disregarded the modern ones available (.."too expensive, prefer something old"...) decided on hunting out some 'Lloyd Loom' ones instead. 


Monkeychild and Husband hot on the trail of 'old stuff'

After a quick recce of the Market he found three Loom chairs dating from the 1940s. Before resuming our browsing, we trooped back to  the car looking like a family of nutters, each carrying a chair over our heads; but as I said to Monkeychild, "Its better to be quirky than boring!".


Original label still intact!
What did I buy? Well not much to be honest. There was plenty of tempting stuff that I liked, but either the prices were too much for me (£45 for an old crate stamped with the 'Schweppes' logo? - I don't think so) or we don't have the room (1930s kitchen cupboard complete with glass panels etched with a landscape...sigh).

I even had to walk away from this old gas cooker. I like these. A lot.



I did think that one would look great in the summerhouse and would be practical too, once overhauled and running off a gas bottle. Husband was not impressed in the slightest.

Oh well, I did buy a 1970s 'Worcester Ware' tray...



 and a few 'Bestway' knitting patterns:



Not much really. However, I was outdone by Monkeychild who used her pocket money to buy some more bottles to add to her collection.



Back home after Malvern, we chilled out in the orchard with a few beers (ginger beer for Monkeychild) in our new old chairs and very comfy they are too.







18 comments :

  1. Yes what happened to May and the other four months before May? Love those chairs, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, the table is gorgeous too.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - yes this year is going far too quickly for my liking! xx

      Delete
  2. Those Lloyd Loom chairs are wonderful and I love Monkeychild's bottle collection. The Malvern Hills are indeed impressive. We went hiking there a few times, and this brings back happy memories. I recognize the "we don't have room for it" thing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find that I'm cutting right back because of the "we don't have room for it". I'm now asking myself whether I really need it!! xx

      Delete
  3. I love the chairs and that tray is gorgeous. I'll be in Malvern at the end of June/start of July, I'll have to see what's on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next Malvern flea is on June 26 and check out Worcester's charity shops - I've picked up some great things from there. But shhhhh.....don't tell anyone ;-D xx

      Delete
  4. Love those chairs! They look fabulous in your orchard:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - they're perfect for the orchard xx

      Delete
  5. I do love a Lloyd Loom or two and yours are killers, they look wonderful in the orchard and way better than those drab black metal things in B&Q!
    I've only been to Malvern once, great for inspiration but mostly way out of our pathetic budget. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Malvern can be pricey but I nearly vommed in shock when I saw a Cathrineholm lotus kettle sell for £3 before I could lay my eager mitts on it! xx

      Delete
  6. I actually squealed with delight when I scrolled down to see the tray, haha! What a shame you had to leave the gas cooker behind, but the chairs are a fantastic addition to your garden/orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I've wanted a tray like this for ages and have seen different colourways on eBay but were too expensive for me. This was only £4!! xx

      Delete
  7. Love Lloyd Loom, I saw a laundry basket in a charity shop once but Andy hated it. I often think of it wistfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lloyd Loom is so classic and practical too. I used a laundry backet to put all of Monkeychild's toys in when she was younger xx

      Delete
  8. Ooh I love your chairs, glad the hubby found exactly what he was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise - he was well chufffed with them xx

      Delete
  9. My mum has chair and linen basket in the deep pink colour. Can't believe you found 4. They look great in your garden.Much better than new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caz - I guess we were very lucky that day! xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...