Saturday, 30 April 2016

Nettles, Newts & Broken China


 

Don't let the above photo deceive you - it hasn't been all sunny days in my part of Blighty recently. This week we've had rain, hailstones and frost, so today's sun has made a very welcome change. Also, the cold snap has affected some of my species surveys too. They're supposed to be carried out in spring, but at optimal air temperatures. These colder days we've been having has meant that certain surveys for reptiles and great crested newts are on hold until the weather warms up. However, I did find some cresties during a recent survey...



...cute aren't they?

Whenever weather has permitted, I've been out in the orchard mowing the grass and also trying to get our raised border and seating area finished. Its changed quite a bit since I last blogged about it here and is no longer an untidy, overgrown pile of grot, but somewhere peaceful to sit out and catch the morning sun (not very often recently!).



Husband rebuilt sections of the former greenhouse foundations and I filled in some of the voids with fragments of broken pottery and china that I've collected over the years.




I've included blue and white transfer pottery that I dug up on a Victorian rubbish dump, half a toy china tea cup found in a stream and the base of a pottery beer bottle from a derelict cottage's rubbish dump. I've collected fragments like these since I was a kid and they still fascinate me, so it was a nice touch to be able to include these.



I'm aiming to plant the border in a cottage garden style and am currently growing some sweet-pea seedlings to plant against the rustic wigwam that I made from hazel and jute rope under Dad's supervision.



We were lucky with the bench. A neighbour gave it to us as it saved him from having to chop it up. Its paint was flaking off and the exposed wood rather rough, but after I gave it a sand down and a few coats of paint, its spruced up perfectly and is comfortable too. The elephant plant stand was rescued from Mum and Dad's old summerhouse before they moved last year. It makes an ideal stand for a mug of tea or beer bottle!


There are plenty of nettles in the orchard, which gave me the chance to make some nettle soup in the week. The cooking removes any sting, and the nettles combined with potato and carrots makes for a hearty, earthy tasting soup. Honestly, it does taste good! If you fancy having a go yourself, I can recommend the recipe on the River Cottage website. 

Bon appétit!


15 comments :

  1. The crested newts are cuties indeed. What a transformation that raised border and seating area has undergone. Well done! The China fragments are an inspired touch. I love it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP. Husband and I are both surprised at how its turned out - more so that we've managed to do it cheaply!

      Delete
  2. it's all looking lovely -- what a difference painting the wall makes! I love all the crockery bits, I collect them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mondo. Glad you noticed the wall. Husband wasn't too keen on me painting it and the trellis, but I happy that I did now as if I hadn't it would have bugged me every time I looked at it.

      Delete
  3. Yay to the re vamped garden but nay to the soup. I think the colour puts me off. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mum , yes - colour dodgy but tastes delicious ;-D

      Delete
  4. The garden looks great, I love all the china fragments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great garden improvements...even better when they are free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you're right there, Fiona. I can't believe how well the bench scrubbed up.

      Delete
  6. What an ace way to use up those old china shards. Whenever I find any, I wonder what their story might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. Yes, I often wonder when I find a really pretty piece whether the person who broke it was really disappointed when it broke.

      Delete
  7. Newts! Aren't they gorgeous? We found some in our garden when we moved in but haven't spotted any for ages.
    Your garden is coming on a treat, love the mosaic - what a fab idea. Might have to pinch that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's something appealing about newts, especially their faces. Feel free to pinch the mosaic idea - I got mine from Kaffe Fassett and Candace Bahouth:
      http://www.kaffefassett.com/Mosaic.html

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks beautiful and so tranquil! I love your bench and I may just be being daft but are you either growing beans or sweet peas around the sticks? It's just the way my Mum does it so I was intrigued! I love the broken pottery idea, can I come and sit in your garden please!! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...