Saturday, 26 March 2016

A Happy Coincidence


I brought a really gorgeous book from my local charity bookshop this week, Vintage Flowers by Vic Brotherson. Its the sort of book I enjoy browsing through with a cuppa; the colourful photos and styling make it a real page-turner for me. I'm keen on growing my own flowers too, so its given me some planting ideas for spring and summer. I noted there were some photos of a few Dartmouth Pottery mantle vases in the book and made a mental note to look out for some. Anyway, on an ad-hoc stop off at a charity shop in town this morning, what did I find but an identical vase to one in the book...



...what a brilliant coincidence. That's made my day.

Not only did I buy the vase, but also a 1970s Indian print dress and a 1960s sequinned evening jacket from the same shop:




I really love the dress, but am unsure whether the elasticated waist suits me. I'll probably wear it as it is for a bit, then might remove the elastic and just cinch in the waist with a belt instead. Luckily, I brought a suede belt last week that might look good with it:



The Style pattern on the right is another contender for this year's Vintage Pledge - its only got three pattern pieces too! 

My other charity shop buy this week was a pair of Pied a Terre black nubuck boots, which haven't had much wear. My friend commented that they looked a bit steampunk.



Yesterday we dug out around the old greenhouse foundations to get it ready for Husband to repair as soon as we have a spell of decent weather. It was hard graft as the nettles and ground elder had formed dense root mats, which made it tough for the spade to cut through, but we did have a glorious sunny day. 

You'll see from the photo below that this area is looking a lot better than when I blogged about it in my previous post here and I've got my planting plan for this raised border well under way. I felt that I needed my damson gin session last night after all that digging! 




16 comments :

  1. Great charity shop finds! Love those boots, bet they look fab with the dress! I had a suede belt just like that, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the boots with the dress yet - the thought hadn't occurred to me, so thanks for that, Linda.

      Delete
  2. Love your finds especially the dress.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good vase! I've got a couple similar to that and they are so useful - pretty in their own right, and able to hold a whole lot of flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm planning to grow a whole lot of flowers this year too!

      Delete
  4. Love the Indian dress, it looks fabulous on but I know what you mean about the elastuic waist, they annoy the hell out of me, too.
    That book looks, I've got loads of those swans. I've currently got a couple of snow crushed daffs and some Broom in a Dartmouth Glug Jug. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I can never pass up on those swans. They're so handy for storing stuff too.

      Delete
  5. You've got some great charity shop finds. Isn't it the best way to shop. I love it.
    Thanks for joining my blog gang, it's so nice to have like minded blog friends. I'm looking forward to reading yours.
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Lynn. I love having like-mined friends too.

      Delete
  6. Lovely dress, can understand about the elastic waist... they were never in the right place when I used to wear dresses, looks like you had a lucky day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woolly - yes, it was a lucky day, I'd like more of those!!!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, those Indian print dresses are so popular now, that's a great find. Love the sequin jacket and boots too, and I'd have snapped up the sewing pattern too!
    Vintage pots are always lovely for flowers, I can't think why anyone buys new! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, flowers always look better in old pots. I have an old milk bottle that's perfect for a few stems.

      Delete
  8. That's a really nice book you found, and I love the dress too, although I have a problem with elasticated waists myself. I usually find that it works when you add a belt, though. That suede belt seems like a good choice. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those boots are quite something, very steampunk. My mother used to live in those dresses, hers never had elastic though, they were simply smock style xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...