Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Pleats Please


Okay, tea cosies aren't the most rock n' rock of items to blog about, but they do have a certain charm for me - especially as I'm a tea lover.

Whilst camping last year I decided to knit a traditional pleated tea cosy to add to the equipment bag, as swaddling our enamel pot in a tea towel didn't do anything to help keep the brew warm.

So as a distraction from knitting yet another pair of my prototype arm-warmers to check the pattern for errors, I decided to knit a one of these cosies, which would be a nice mindless knit.


For the yarn I chose  Patons Fab DK Variegated (2074 Violet Print) and Stylecraft Special DK (1725 Sage), which are both 100% acrylic and machine washable - easy to care for!


I also found that these yarns were perfect for achieving the right tension when pulling the yarn across the back of the work to create those pleats.


So pleased was I with how it turned out, that I decided to make a larger 6/8 cup version for our kitchen teapot, which is a big 'un!  I used some Stylecraft Special DK yarn from my stash to knit this one. 


These have been great for tv knitting, whilst I catch up on episodes of BBC's Shetland (how apt for this post!) and The Great Interior Design Challenge - both compulsive viewing for me.


13 comments :

  1. I love them! My grandmother use to knit those. Instead of washing them when they got tea stained she would chuck the dirty one away and knit another one! I quite fancy knitting one in King Cole Splash and plain colour.
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are these? Jon would wear one of them on his head - he's got a thing for pom poms! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting those tea cosies is very addictive.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love them, especially the colour mix of the second one. Knitting an old fashioned teacosy is definitely on my knitting to-do list. They're just so cute and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love 'em! I do like a knitted tea cosy and a pompom on top. I must add it to my list of knitting projects.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see where you say which patter you used. I'd love to know, please, as my mother likes this type of tea cosy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena, thanks for your comment. I used a free pattern from Ravelry and have pasted the link to it below for you:
      http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/classic-pleated-tea-cozy

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I've added it to my favourite patters on Ravelry.

      Delete
  7. These are gorgeous, love the colour combinations so very cheerful! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cool! I love the idea of tension that's supposed to be tight like that, I have awful trouble keeping mine loose usually :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! Love your choice of yarns
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! Love your choice of yarns
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute are these! I love them x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...