Thursday, 31 December 2015

That Was The Year: 2015

Following on from last year I thought I'd do a another similar post looking back on 2015's makes, finds and general doings.

2015 wasn't a prolific year for sewing as I only completed one dress, falling two items below my Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge target. However, I hope to do better in 2016 especially as I've accumulated a stash of great 1960s and 70s patterns.


Knitting output was marginally better as I finished Monkeychild's Fair Isle pullover and my 1980s cardigan. This was probably due to me solely working on one project and not veering off and starting new ones without completing the other. I'm sticking to this principle now and am currently working on my own design for a pair of Fair Isle armwarmers, which I'll share with you once they're finished.

As for the rest of the makes, I decided to give some home-made chutney and damson gin as Christmas presents this year, so back in August and September I started to make enough batches to go round. Now that they've matured, I'm quite impressed with how nice the damson gin tastes, although I think I'll add a bit more spice and heat to next year's plum chutney.

The writing went well too with the publication of my first book Vintage Knitting, which was a childhood (and adulthood) dream come true. I've also kept up my magazine article quota with some articles featuring fellow bloggers who I admire for their services to vintage and fabulous individual style - you know who you are and a big thank you to each of you for all your help.


As for finds, 2015's haul wasn't as successful as previous years, although some great things did come my way like my 1970s leather jacket and the '80s tuxedo-style jacket, which thanks to this winter's mild temperatures meant that I had plenty of wear out of it.



Here's a few of my other favourite vintage finds this year...


Clockwise from top left: 1970s Biba eyeshadow, tux jacket, Rowan knitting magazines. '70s Russell & Bromley sandals, assorted  knitting patterns and magazines, 70s pewter pendant, gaudy Pyrex

Obviously things haven't all been rosy as life has a way of whipping the rug from under your feet when you least expect it, but I always like to look on the positive side and hope that 2016 year will be less stressful and more happier. 

So on that reflective note, I'll wish you and yours a happy and healthy 2016 and look forward to sharing the year with you.

19 comments :

  1. Yup here's to a better 2016 for us all. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I know what is like having the rug whipped from under the feet when you least expect it. Love your daughter's pullover.
    Happy New Year
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and Happy New Year to you too xx

      Delete
  3. And a very Happy New Year to you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year lovely and here's to 2016 being a good 'un.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year! I've been away a while and can't claim any kind of achievement like writing a book - that's fab! I'm rubbish at knitting so can't promise to buy it but I will put it prominently to the front in any book shops I visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello stranger - lovely to hear from you again :-D Hope to see you blogging this year. Happy New Year to you too

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year! Here's to 2016 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did thanks and I hope you did too. Happy New Year! xx

      Delete
  7. Hoping 2016 is happier for you, Happy New Year, I love looking at your vintage knitting posts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Woolly and I'm glad you like my knitting posts xx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you need a better year this year.
    All the best for 2016.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year, VK! Having a book published is such a fantastic thing to include in your 2015's makes. I need to look out for it in the shops! Here's hoping you a have a happy, healthy and creative 2016. I'm already looking forward to seeing these Fair Isle arm warmers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...