Thursday, 16 July 2015

Procrastination & Charity Shop Karma


Procrastination: I know you so well

I recently decided to finally give myself a kick up the butt and actually get on and do some much neglected chores around the house, such as clearing out years worth of clothes - including Monkeychild's baby and toddler clothes (she's eight now) and giving my wardrobe a much needed de-cluttering. However, its so easy to become distracted and start doing something else, thinking "Oh, I'll do that clear out tomorrow", but when tomorrow turns out to be a lovely sunny day and the garden beckons, then all thoughts of tidying up go out of the window.

It's the same with my job. I recently decided to go it alone and become self-employed. So involved was I in building a new client base and reading up on technical stuff, that I kept putting off all the necessary (but boring) things like word-processing my own document templates and creating a filing system for the hard-drive instead of just randomly saving everything in one place. Yet the other week when I had to produce a report for a client, I instead spent ages trying to devise a decent looking report template; whilst if I had made one earlier I could have had my report finished in plenty of time for the client's deadline....and saved myself from a lot of last minute stress.




So now I have decided to turn over a new leaf and try not to lend an ear to Procrastination whispering in my ear "You could do that tomorrow, go on - forget about it and do some more knitting - you know you want to!" But saying that, Procrastination did have a silver lining last week, so I can't completely write her out of my life.

I did two runs to my favourite charity shop, dropping off seven bags that had been mounting up over the past couple of weeks that were full of mine and Monkeychild's old clothes and unwanted books. When walking back to the car after the final run I found a £20 note on the pavement. I like to put that down to 'Charity Shop Karma', with perhaps a little help from Miss Procrastination!



6 comments :

  1. Well said, procrastination does have a silver lining! Lovely post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, I think I might have to put work aside and do that charity shop run at last... Just on the off chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, procrastination! My husband puts everything off, so his to do list just keeps growing. I try to suggest he should 'shovel while the pile is small' but it's a concept lost on him.

    £20! Silver lining indeed! I once demanded my husband stop the car and let me out after a tiff, he did, in a rural lane close to where we lived and I found £50!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karma indeed! You want to get to that charity shop more often, that could be a nice little earner. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Result! Yep, that's karma's reward.
    I've still got my kids baby/toddler/kiddie clothes in the attic. They're 25 this year! That's flippin' procrastiantion gone horribly wrong!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, an extra £20 is always welcome, whether karma is involved or not! Well done for finally cracking on (I should take inspiration from you...) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...