Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Gnoming Around - A Garden Trip


Come into the garden, Maud,
     For the black bat, night, has flown,
Come into the garden, Maud,
     I am here at the gate alone;
And the woodbine spices are wafted abroad,
     And the musk of the rose is blown.

by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Well, its safe to say that a virtual trip around my garden won't be as lyrical as the above, but I thought I'd do a post about said plot as for a short time, everything is in full bloom and then as summer continues it all starts to go downhill and tatty. 

I love a garden that's a bit unruly and full of quirky features; manicured lawns, tidy beds and tasteful statues aren't my thing at all. For me anything goes, from the glazed pots that I used to decorate the tables on my wedding day...


...to a rather hefty drainpipe hopper that I've planted with herbs...


...and an old Singer sewing machine trestle that fits in nicely with the O-So-Silkie needlework enamel sign on the back wall of our house...




For me a garden has to be colourful and that's not just restricted to the plants, so thank goodness that exterior paint for sheds and fences etc. now comes in a vibrant range of colours, not just the usual 'tasteful' muted greens and browns.


When it comes to borders I hanker after big beds crammed to the gunnels with cottage garden flowers such as hollyhocks, foxgloves, big bosomy peonies and old fashioned roses...



And I reckon that a garden isn't complete without a gnome or four or more to keep each other company and get up to garden tricks when I'm not about...


But the garden has been loosing out to the orchard as I've been spending time at the weekends strimming the grass down and trying to keep the bindweed, ground elder and nettles under control. Although, I have left large stands of nettles as they're good for wildlife and also give us a bit of privacy from neighbouring gardens.


It's the perfect place to sit with a pale ale on a warm evening and watch the bats dart about.


13 comments :

  1. Your garden is just perfect, I love wild and full of quirky, interesting things, too. The enamel signs are particularly gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about your orchard, hope it's coming along nicely with all your hard work :) Big droopy roses and hollyhocks are always a welcome sight!

    The first line of that poem has left me with an earworm of Minnie Ripperton's Come To My Garden -- it's on youtube if you want to listen to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion, I just listened to that Minnie Ripperton song - I forgot how amazing her voice was

      Delete

      Delete
  3. Love your garden ❤
    The place we last rented had a lovely long garden full of mature willow trees, fruit bushes and fruit trees as well as a pond and when the owners were trying to sell it, they chopped everything down, it was heartbreaking to see the pictures on the estate agents site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is lovely, I love your enamel signs and eclectic pots. I've got bats too...they scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous garden you have - or more accurately, the outside space, since the walls of your house, the orchard and all the quirky decorations look pretty wonderful too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't bear regimented gardens either mine spills all over and has all sorts of weird, wonderful and just plain awful ornaments to take you by surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can find interesting thing to make planters out of. I bet your roses smell lovely.
    Came over from Vintage Vixen and coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you! Manicured lawns, tidy beds and tasteful statues aren't our thing either. We have a saying in our garden. If it cannot look after itself once planted its not allowed in! Your orchard looks lovely and peaceful. Are they all Apple trees or is there other fruits.....?
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, they're mostly apples - cookers and eaters, although we have one pear, but its got black-spot, which is a shame. I'm planning on planting more plum trees in it xx

      Delete
  9. Perfection. I do love a quirk garden with natty bits n'pieces hiding around each corner and popping up where you least expect. A striped neat lawn and tidy beds are my idea of yuck.
    I have a Singer table too....wot's the chances?!- they are great in gardens.
    I reckon those gnomes get up to all kinds of malarkey when you're not about! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the drainpipe planter - what a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is lovely!

    Mine is very narrow, so I use green paint on the fences behind the beds to give the illusion of more greenery/width, but it's bright blue all the way on the patio.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...