Friday, 3 April 2015

Wordsmithing

Thanks to catching Monkeychild's lurgy I've been feeling unwell, hence the lack of action here at VK Towers. However, the Postie brought me something the other day that immediately lifted my apathetic gloom: a preview copy of my first book, Vintage Knitting, 18 Patterns from the 1940s - eek!



I spent a lot of time last year working on the book; researching, writing various drafts, collating source material and proof-reading. All this has culminated in Vintage Knitting, which is based on a knitting book first published in 1941. 


It was a really exciting project and gave me the opportunity to raid the VK archives for source material...and a good excuse to add more! 

This post is just a taster, as I'll do a proper one about the book when its released on the 10th May. However, there's a preview available here and below are a few images taken from it.



Writing has taken up quite a bit of my time recently as I've been involved in a seven-part series about the development of fashion between the 1900s and 1970s for Her Vintage Life Magazine. The current April issue covers the '40s and I've just finished the '60s article, which should appear in the June issue. This series has been a lot of fun to write and I'm sorry that it's going to end soon as I'm about to start on the final piece covering the '70s (one of my favourite decades). However, at least the series will end on a high note as the '70s article will feature some amazing photos courtesy of Vix. 



Also, Ali from Love Vintage Adidas recently asked me to take part in a post about top tips for finding rare vintage items. As we're all looking out for those bargains and the other bloggers involved have put forward some handy hints, I thought I'd put up a link to Ali's site here.

Now I'm back in the blogosphere, its time to catch up on reading your blogs!



13 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear about a poorly Monkeychild. Hope she's back to her usual bouncy self soon.
    Your book looks amazing, well done. I wish i could knit!
    Thank you so much for asking me, I was bleating about it to some vintage lovin' ladies this morning, they're as excited as I am! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input into it Vix :-) You were the first person I thought of to feature as an inspirational lover of '70s fashions xxx

      Delete
  2. Hope your little lass is feeling better.
    Can't wait to get a copy of your book. I'm so chuffed for you and will work hard on my knitting so I can make things from it.
    Looking forward to catching your article on the '70's with added Vix.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee that sounds so exciting. You've been very busy indeed. Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear more about the book when it's released in May.

    Hope you and Monkeychild feel better soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, hope you and your little 'un are both feeling much better now. And what better to perk you up than your very own book - how exciting! The illustrations you've shown as a taster here look fab.
    Vix is a great inspiration for your 70s article, she wears it so well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much look forward to seeing this book - the colour photographs and illustrations look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how exciting, a book, are you on Instagram? Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Janice :-) Yes, I am as lizaknitter but still need to use my account more!!

      Delete
  7. That bloody lurgy gets everywhere, hope you are both now feeling better. Exciting news about your book, looking forward to seeing your next post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your book looks lovely! I look forward to seeing more of it.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your book! You must be so thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I am so behind with my blog reading I nearly missed this!!! This is wonderful! Big congratulations on your book it must be an amazing feeling to see your words in print!! I eagerly look forward to reading it when its out!!! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...