Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Sewing Pledge for 2015

I don't make New Year Resolutions because I know for a fact that I never keep them, so there's no point in me exercising the grey matter in thinking about them. However, I was reading Kestrel Makes' blog yesterday when I came across the Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge that she's co-hosting this year. I've now signed up to the Pledge as this is more up my street that NYRs; also, it'll give me a good kick up the butt incentive to make more clothes: bonus.

So friends, I VK, pledge to you that I will make a minimum of three items using vintage sewing patterns this year and I will share my makings here with you as they progress.


I only made two things using vintage patterns in 2014: my Vogue shift dress and Monkeychild's New Look play-suit, so I'm aiming (marginally) higher this year!

I thought that this would be a good time as any to go through my very untidy pattern box and group everything into order of size and wearability, and whilst doing this I could pick out 'potentials' to meet my pledge. So after having a good old shuffle, I've come up with this selection:



Now, I'm not suggesting that I shall be making something from every pattern (that's too optimistic for me), but there's a few that I'd love to make such as the girl's short dress in the Style 2317, the long maxi dress in a Style pattern (far left, middle row) and the mini dress in Style 2287. However, some of these patterns will need to be re-sized which I'm really crap at, so if any of you know of some great blogs etc. that provide an idiot's guide to pattern re-sizing, please let me know - cheers.

With patterns chosen, I'm thinking next about fabric. I reckon I'm going to resort to making a toile first (good lord I'm getting serious as I normally hack and sew!) with some of these patterns, as I don't want to waste any fabric, but I can't wait to sew with this gorgeous one:



I saw it first on Nicole Needles' blog, where she had used it to make a cracking shirt for Mr. Needles - thanks for the inspiration, Nicole! I'm saving it for something special; I'm thinking a dress.....so watch this space!

P.S. Public Sewing Information Update:

The Great British Sewing Bee is back: BBC 2, Wednesday 28th January, 8:00 pm. Game on!


11 comments :

  1. I made two dresses and a pair of trousers last year, and a couple of tote bags as gifts, so I didn't do as much sewing as I intended to either...But like you, I hope to raise my game in 2015, and use vintage patterns all the way (vintage fabric where possible too). So although I'm not pledging or promising, I am hoping!
    Love your pattern selection, and that fabric, and I can't wait to see what you make! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, but knitting and crochet....not sewing. I'm not telling anyone in case I don't achieve it, well.... only you of course and you won't tell will you?
    Wow you have a lot of patterns! Your fabric is ace, thanks for the heads up about Sewing Bee. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in too. I want to try and use all the fabric lamenting in the pile and I'm aiming to make a vintage summer capsule wardrobe...or something like that! Can't wait to see what you make.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with VK. The Style 2287 dress looks really cute. It may be worth checking out Heather B's blog (http://handmadebyheatherb.blogspot.co.uk) for info on pattern grading as she did some grading up on her Christmas dress last month. Her blog's great for fitting information as well as awesome style and humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pattern grading tip Jo, I'll check out Heather's blog :-)

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic idea, Liza, I look forward to seeing what you create. You have some amazing patterns in your collection, especially that Blackmores pattern. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lot of patterns. I actually made the Butterick Skirt (second pic - centre bottom row) in Brown Crimpline in the 70's
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There certainly is a lot to choose from there, good luck with the makes, I'm sure you are going to look soooo good in whatever you make. Suzy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, hoorah for the return of Sewing Bee. My husband gets really into it, which always strikes me as hilarious as he has no interest in clothes, but he gets very interested in the technical side of making things.

    I look forward to seeing what you make - I'm always dead envious of people who can sew. Those patterns are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! One of my resolutions is to learn dressmaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, all the patterns you own! I have a fair few myself, mainly repro ones though, and I really need to crack on and make some, but I'm not the best sewist and I end up speed sewing as I have a house bunny who likes to investigate what I'm doing.

    The fabric you have earmarked for a dress is fabulous! It's hard to find interesting fabric in the UK which isn't priced at silly pounds and ridiculous pence. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...