Friday, 5 December 2014

Fair Isle Favours the Brave


In a moment of vagueness the other week I asked Monkeychild if she would like me to knit her something for Christmas, thinking that she might ask for a hat, scarf or gloves that even a hideously slow knitter like me might manage to finish before the 25th. She gave it some thought then said "Yes, one of those old jumpers that boys wore"; my response: "Eh?"
"And a hat like June wore in "Our Zoo".


Turns out that not only did Monkeychild like the character of June in the BBC series, but she was secretly admiring her wardrobe too - and there was me thinking that it was only June's pet monkey that she'd like! As for the jumper, she'd also had inspiration from another BBC series: Just William and from the illustrations in her books...


So I asked about suitable patterns on Ravelry and was directed to some online...


...and after attempting numerous tension squares and going up and down in needle sizes, I have finally made a start on the jumper - though I've  ripped out at least five rows already!


I've explained to Monkeychild that there's no way either is going to be finished this side of Christmas - let alone her birthday in August if I'm realistic! But she appears to be content with that. However, I have a sneaky feeling that by the time they're ready (for next winter), she'll have gone off the idea of wearing them. Motherly love, huh?


8 comments :

  1. I love Fair Isle knitting. I am knitting my grandson a jumper at the moment in hope I manage to get it done for Christmas, just trying work out how much pink I can get away with. Fair isle is my all time favourite
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought June looked adorable in Our Zoo too, and Mu was a supermodel with a gorgeous wardrobe!
    Good luck with the fair isle - to a non-knitter, it looks very complicated, but also very pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bonnet similar to your pattern when I was little.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Jane Mucklestone (find her on Ravelry) is the Queen of Modern Fair Isle and her patterns are far simpler than those intricate vintage ones, as lovely as they are. Good Luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a gents' Fair isle tank top on my rails, it gets more love than I do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your knitting your little one certainly has an eye for style, just like her mum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh fabby, I love fair isle but haven't yet had the patience to sit and make something with it! Excited to see how these turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love watching series set in that era just to see the wardrobe. I drive other people crazy when I am oohing and aahing over the knitwear rather than the plot! And I love, love, love all your vintage pattern finds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...