Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Get Striped!


 Not much has been blogged by me about my recent knitting projects, but that's about to change! 

To start off with I've finished my Great Weekend Mitts, which took me more than a weekend to knit if I'm honest! Knitted from Rowan Fine Tweed 4ply, I used a ball in each colour: 'Monsal Dale 384', 'Nidd 382' and 'Hawes 362'. The stripes are in Monsal Dale and Hawes, whilst the button-band is in Nidd. This yarn is very flecky and quite textured to knit with (hence its name: 'tweed' - doh!), but once I got over the 'bumpiness' of the yarn as it fed through my fingers, it started to knit up nicely and was quite even too. 

The pattern calls for straight needles, but I knitted them in the round using double-pointed needles (dpns) to avoid having any seams to sew up; only using straights to pick up the stitches for the button-band. To avoid getting a 'jog' when changing colour whilst knitting in the round, I also used the 'jogless stripe' technique. I won't explain this technique in detail here, but will link to Craftsy blog which has an excellent illustrated tutorial page, which describes it far better than I ever could: Craftsy Jogless Stripes Tutorial.


I needed twelve buttons to complete the gloves and found some dark red shell ones at a local independent haberdashery shop: Sew & Sew in Stroud. If you're ever in the town, check out Sew & Sew, its a brilliant shop.

As I was on a roll with the dpns, I also knitted Monkeychild a pair of legwarmers using Debbie Bliss Rialto DK Print in the 'Verona' colourway. I didn't use a pattern for these, just knitted my own version, and as the yarn is self-striping I didn't have to use the jogless stripe technique either! I like to make things easy for myself. 

Monkeychild was very pleased with her new legwarmers and insisted on wearing them as soon as they were finished - even though it was a hot day!






10 comments :

  1. The knitting is great. I often knit in the round when I make the grandchildren jumpers,
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colour combination of your mitts but I LOVE the combination of Monkeychild's clogs and leg warmers - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That knitting rocks! I love me a pair of beer mittens for cold nights at festivals. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love the buttons and your colour choice for your mitts. Your nails even match! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours and stripes. Are legwarmers fashionable again? I had no idea - back to the 80s! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that joggy technique is very clever. Love the makes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are gorgeous, love all the stripes. I really need to have a look at the joggles technique, as its something that's always bugged me about knitting in the round, thanks for the tip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those leg warmers are super cool. Stripes
    are pretty cute!
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mitts and legwarmers are fabulous but the mug is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The legwarmers and mitts are darling but I love the tea cup!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...