Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Bargain Hunt



Its been a while since I last wrote about my charity shop/flea market finds so I thought I'd do a quick update for you, as I've picked up a few bargains during my recent outings.

First is this St. Michael 1940s 'Controlled Commodity' CC41 apron with its 'two cheeses' label. I was really pleased to find this at a local flea market and brought it for a couple of pounds, which is a bargain especially as CC41 items are getting harder to find. With a wash and press, its come up quite nice. I usually buy aprons for their fabric, aiming to cut them up and re-use the fabric elsewhere; but this one will be staying in one piece I reckon.

As I'm a big fan of picnics with all the trimmings, there was no way that I was going to ignore this 1970s Preci Ware 'Pac-a-Pic' picnic box.




Its lucky that the boxes still have their full complement of plastic cutlery, compartment lids and tumblers. However, the elastic straps had perished resulting in a 'saggy bottom' when lifting up the box, so I replaced them with new identical elastic strapping and re-attached the toggles and its as good as new! 

I also brought this lovely picture...



I saw an identical one at a flea market a few weeks ago, which was badly faded but was still being sold for £30! There's no way I'd buy one at that price, so I was more than happy to buy this for a lot less. The frame was a bit grimy, but a quick wipe-over with sugar soap fixed that and restored the frame back to its glowing whiteness.

I also picked up some more 1940s Stitchcraft magazines too, which will help complete the gaps in my collection...


 

... and even Husband got in on the bargain hunting, buying a rather large linen Union Jack flag after hankering after one for quite a while. The stairwell of our loft is the only place in which it'll fit - just about!




So, what's been your recent best bargain? Do tell...





7 comments :

  1. Lucky find that dress. Love the picnic set, may I join you on a picnic.......? Love the patterns and the picture.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a statement the flag is, and your Spanish lady is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flag looks tremendous and I love the print. Isn't it the same one that hung on Jack and Vera Duckworth's wall in Coronation Street back in the day? We sold that picnic set at Camperjam! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picnic set - what a find. I'm very jealous of the Stitchcraft Mags - love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely finds. That picnic set is fab, so hard to find with all the bits n'pieces. I do love the print too....I remember my neighbour had one and I always wanted my gran to get one too but she wouldn't! I recall it being on the Duckworth's wall. There was one at the last vintage market I went to going for a whopping £120, or rather not going!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a good bargain in ages. I must be due for one soon!

    That picnic set is great. Very retro-futuristic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got that picnic set too! Didn't come with the glasses though... And the painting is fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...