Monday, 23 June 2014

Sew Back in Time


There is something to be said for nipping into your local charity shop at the end of the day, like I did last week when I spied a large box of sewing patterns tucked under one of the shelves. I was rustling through it when one of the shop assistants said "I've just put that out, there's some interesting patterns in there. I've brought a few myself". First dibs: one of the joys of working in a charity shop! 

She had left some great patterns and I had a varied choice to pick from. They were mostly from the Sixties and Seventies, with a few from the Fifties and earlier. But what was brilliant was their sizing as they included some larger sizes instead of the usual smaller sizes that tend to crop up. Here's a selection of what I brought:



I love the packet illustrations as they're so of their time. Look at these:



Empire line, neo-Regency, bell sleeves, shift dresses - what's not to like? 

Now all I have to do is choose which one to sew first. 

By the way, I have finished off Monkeychild's jumpsuit that I blogged about last time. It's washed and pressed, and ready for its first wear. I just hope that this weather stays hot and sunny enough for her to wear it out and for me to photo for a future post.



7 comments:

  1. Oooh what a lovely haul. I have the Style 2287 pattern too and I'm dying to make a maxi version. There's something so enticing about the illustrations. Love 'em. Can't wait to see what you make first.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great selection, sometimes you can strike gold in the charity shops! I've got the 70s dress pattern in the top right of your second picture, but I haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic haul VK! So many fantastic patterns to choose from. I found a seriously cute dungaree shorts pattern in a charity shop last month and couldn't not buy it. I love it for the illustrations alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes - I remember the sleeves and Empire waists.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had loads of old dress patterns. This makes me wonder what I did with them when I cleared my parents' flat. They might be in the loft…

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fantastic! I love finding patterns in chazzas but the lovely old ones rarely seem to crop up more the scary 1980s Princess Di type monstrosities! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful patterns, I have a passion for collecting vintage patterns of all kinds, sewing, knitting crochet etc. I often wish patterns could talk so that we knew who had used them before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...