Sunday, 4 May 2014

'Hollyburn Skirt' Pattern Review

You could be my flamingo 
'Coz pink is the new kinda lingo 
Pink like a deco umbrella....

...sang Aerosmith in their song 'Pink', which is not a colour I'd ordinarily choose to wear but when its flamingos printed on fabric like this, then I'll happily change my mind.


Regular readers might remember my previous post about making the equivalent of 1950s novelty print skirts, but using modern novelty prints and Sewaholic's Hollyburn Skirt pattern instead. Well, after a few weeks of busily stitching away amongst other things, I have finished off both:



Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens: 'Papillon'

Now, I'm not a very confident sewer and certainly not Great British Sewing Bee material, but I found these skirts an absolute doddle to make. I made 'View C' and pieced it together in no time at all thanks to the very easy-to-follow instructions. 



However, after I had brought both the pattern and material I realised that I hadn't thoroughly read the notes on the back of the packet which clearly states: Not recommended for plaids, stripes or one-way designs. Of course numpty here had brought fabric with one-way designs. Doh! 



I ended up spending at least double the time cutting out the pattern and trying to line up the designs at the seams so that they matched; however, it can be done if you're patient, so don't let this put you off from using one-way designs with this pattern. Otherwise, I can deffo recommend this pattern and its one I'll be using again at some point. I'd love to use some bright floral bark-cloth next time though but that'll have to wait as this is my next project...



...a 1990s jumpsuit pattern. I'm making the one on the left for Monkeychild using this music design fabric, which is great and certainly appeals to her tomboy nature. Although I did have to explain to her what music cassettes were when she pointed them out and asked what they were!

18 comments:

  1. Your skirts are lovely - clever you. Technology moves so fast now, doesn't it.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirts are gorgeous, going to seek the pattern. I love the 1990's pattern and the fabric you are going to use
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. The pattern is easy to find in the UK in online shops xx

      Delete
  3. LOVE that flamingo print - looks fab, as does the other skirt. Can't believe you had to explain what cassette tapes are - I feel old!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving those skirts! I wouldn't have considered that dressmaking pattern but now I've seen how fabulous it looks made up I want one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the flamingos! Great matching skillz - can't even tell there's a seam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole - Those flamingos are killer aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! Absolutely love the flamingos. I'm so glad you managed to get the print to work with the skirt pattern. The music fabric is going to make a brilliantly funky jumpsuit for Monkeychild too. My novelty print dress is nearly done (progress has been slow!) Just got to insert the zipper and hem it.

    Now I have Aerosmith stuck in my head. Pretty sure I bought that single!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I hope you're going to blog about your dress, Jo :-)

      Delete
  7. What has it got in its pocketses?

    That flaming fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pocketses it has indeedy - that was one of the main attraction of the pattern for me!

      Delete
  8. Love them both, your pattern matching skills are exceptional!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab! Brilliant job. I love them both. The flamingo print is lush. I have that skirt pattern unopened and languishing, you have inspired me to have a go at it. I also have to have a pocket or two. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers m'dear. Go for that pattern - its a goodie!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...