Saturday, 12 April 2014

Novelty Prints: Old & New



The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that I have an article featuring 1950s novelty prints in this month's Her Vintage Life Magazine. I really love the vibrant colours and designs that typify these textiles, and also their humour too. You can find some very quirky designs out there and this Horrockses Fashions dress has to be up there with the best when it comes to the unusual. I reckon it took a special sort of woman to proudly wear this dress with plates of foodstuffs printed on it:


I have a few novelty print skirts, which I wear out and about...


However, I've recently brought some fabric with a modern take on the novelty print: one featuring Our Lady of Guadalupe and the other liberally scattered with flamingos reminiscent of my childhood bathroom's wallpaper:


I'm going to use these to make myself some skirts using Sewaholic's popular Hollyburn skirt pattern, which looks pretty straightforward. Although I did read, after I brought the fabric, the notes on the back of the sewing pattern which state that one-way fabric designs aren't recommended for the skirts. Uh-oh.....

5 comments :

  1. I can imagine Fanny Cradock wearing that frock or maybe Marguerite Patten. Love that skirt and your vibrant fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is something else isn't it?! Love those fabrics you've got - I'm sure you'll be fine with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't matter about the print it's bound to look great, congratulations on the magazine article! saw some stunning Horrockses 'frocks' at the fashion and textile museum in March, wondering whether to go to the talk on May 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that glimpse of your skirt in the Moggy - that photo is pure art! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a fantastic dress. I want it! Haha. I'm a big fan of novelty prints. I'm currently working on a By Hand London Elisalex dress. Sadly the toile is not fitting well, at all. Good job I didn't cut straight into my dress fabric (which has a rather fun novelty print!) Looking forward to seeing your flamingo Hollyburn skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...