Thursday, 9 January 2014

Vintage Hunter: This Bling is my Thing

I have to 'fess up now...I have formed an addiction to watching American reality TV programmes where dealers in collectibles, vintage and household stuff bid for the unknown contents of storage lockers where the rent has gone into arrears (Storage Wars ) or for unclaimed baggage from airline companies (Baggage Battles). I find myself rooting for my favourite dealers (Barry Weiss in Storage Wars and Laurence & Sally Martin in Baggage Battles) to out-bid their rivals and hopefully find something amazing in their haul. Sorry Antiques Roadshow, but this is compulsive viewing - especially the 'altercations' as I shall call them between bidding rivals!

Watching these programmes has given me an idea for the blog: I shall now label my posts about my vintage finds from charity shops, car boot sales and other places with 'Vintage Hunter'. Okay, this is a lot more low rent than the above TV programmes and there's no way that I'm starting up my own Youtube channel, but I thought it would be a fun way to do it.

So to kick it off I'm starting with this ring I brought in a local charity shop at the weekend:



I love my rings to be bold and chunky and this one certainly fits the bill. Its a foil-backed glass cabochon in a claw setting mounted on top of an adjustable ring. It doesn't have any maker's marks, but I reckon that this cocktail ring probably dates from the 1950s. The foil has started to discolour a bit, but I love it - especially as it only cost £1. I know its not exactly in the Liz Taylor stakes when it comes to jewellery....


Source
 ...but its my type of bling!





12 comments :

  1. It is huge!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steady on, missus!
      Its certainly from the low-budget Liz Taylor school of costume jewellery!

      Delete
  2. I'm watching storage wars too, Barry is the best! I think your vintage hunter project is a good idea, can't wait to see more of your fab finds! That ring is amazing! xx Tani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tani. Barry certainly beats his competitors on the sartorial front! He's got an amazing collection of classic cars too, which makes me envious!

      Delete
  3. Love the Liz reference! That's my favourite version of Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any blog post which references blinging vintage jewellery must surely mention La Taylor - she set the standard that today's diamond-loving celebs can only dream of reaching when it comes to carats.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic ring Modom! Please add me to the 'Liz' fanclub from this era too, oh la la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was only one Liz Taylor....like her tousled 'bed-head' hair in this photo.

      Delete
  5. Ohh!! Dear Liza ,
    I have heard it all now ,
    The ring is great and those painted nails , you lot do put me to shame , lovely beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup - my tv viewing confesssion is revealed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...