Wednesday, 29 January 2014

"The Needlewoman"


Out of the various knitting and sewing magazines that inhabit the VK Stitchery Archives, copies of The Needlewoman were notably lacking - that is until fate happened to point me in the direction of six copies dating between April 1929 and October 1936.





They're all in great condition considering their ages; apart from the staples rusting through and the spines being a bit tatty, which is to be expected. 

Someone must have looked after these  really carefully. 





Its funny that on my travels I've found Stitchcrafts (wartime issues too if I'm very lucky), Penelope Crafts  and 
Needlewoman & Needlecraft, but never these magazines before. 
                                   
   

Although I do have a Needlewoman annual that I brought a couple of years ago in a charity bookshop, which I suppose is a 'best of' that years' magazine issues.

   


One of the magazines still has
its original embroidery transfer. 
How brilliant is that? I've got a few of these transfers tucked away and its nice to actually see the magazine from which they came.
Its fascinating looking at the Twenties fashions in the April 1929 issue with their straight-up-and-down silhouettes and snuggly-fitting cloche hats. I love the photo of the model below left, sultrily peeking out from beneath the brim. 



Its interesting to compare the Twenties fashions to those some from six years later in the April 1935 issue, which are a lot more feminine with their cinched in waists:


I love the 'Russian Cossack' top above

Apart from the stitchery patterns and designs for hand-towels, cushions and "Chair-Tidies - the modern equivalent of the Victorian antimacassars", the magazines also contain a variety of knitting and crochet patterns:




And finally....even the back page adverts are gorgeous too!




P.S. I'm currently working on the Stitchcraft covers archive for the 1950s, so hopefully I can post about soon.


20 comments :

  1. I think I want to be that lady in the cloche hat. She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's one of mine too - she's lovely isn't she?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love the one with the little boy and girl on the front!
    I have a few of these magazines too, but I don't see them as often as I do other magazines.
    I have sent you some images of the special Stitchcraft issues. If the email hasn't come through to you, please let me know and I'll send it again. Will get to work on the others ASAP :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fer your help Lucy, I've added the 1940s and '41 issues.

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely! I love those sunbathing accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! They're fantastic I'm green with envy. The twenties underwear looks very uncomfortable doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does - I think I prefer the 'hoist it up' undies of the 1950s instead!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing those. I love the bunny cushion cover in the first picture. Would you say they have a very different style to Stitchcrafts from similar times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found both magazines to be very similar, although there seems to be a lot more needlework patterns than Stitchcraft and much more of an editorial focus on current fashion styles. One thing that I have wondered about Stitchcraft is why they didn't produce (as far as I know) annual like Needlewoman and Good Needlework.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see these magazines. Such gorgeous pictures. I have a few of these and am always very happy if I find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the pictures being gorgeous....and the joys of finding these and other vintage needlework mags! :-D

      Delete
  7. Iv'e never come across any of these magazines, they look great, it's a bit sad to think they must be making their way out into the world now only because their owners, (who luckily for us obviously learnt not to discard things so readily in the war) are all dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Woolly, yes that's probably quite true sadly. It does make me think about the amount of old sewing and knitting ephemera that's being chucked out as 'rubbish' because people might think that there's no interest for them. If only they knew the truth!

      Delete
  8. Those sports clothes certainly beat velour joggers and a baseball cap hands down! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll second you on that! Also beats wolf print fleeces too ;-)

      Delete
  9. Now that I live in Paris, near the Seine river, I like to walk along the wharf where there are those old books sellers... I like to flip through those vintages knitting/sewing books and patterns.
    Have a nice week end ^_^
    Ally

    http://allyandwoozle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ally, now that sounds like the perfect way to spend a day or two, or perhaps more! Also stopping off in a cafe for a break between browsing! Have a nice weekend too :-)

      Delete
  10. How spooky, I've just had a copy of the Needlewoman annual pass through my hands this morning - possibly the one you mentioned above. Lovely condition & front cover still bright and cheery. What a smashing haul you have there! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a spooky coincidence M - I think I have another magazine addiction now!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...