Sunday, 29 December 2013

Festive Fair Isle



Now that the below Fair Isle beret has been delivered by Santa I can blog about it without fear that this surprise Christmas present will be accidentally rumbled by its recipient!



I knew my friend had hankered over a Fair Isle beret for a while and thought that this would make an ideal hand knit pressie for her. As she's a lover of vintage too I thought it apt that I venture down the vintage pattern route by using this 1940s one by good old Bestway:



I varied the colours only marginally from the pattern as I didn't want to loose the vintage feel, using Debbie Bliss' Rialto 4ply which has now become my first choice of yarn for Fair Isle as I can achieve the correct tension (I've got a very tight tension) and it comes in a great range of vintage-style colours. Surprisingly for me, the beret didn't take long to knit - about a month and to be honest I really enjoyed knitting it. 





The eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed the Knit for Victory button on this here blog, which is a 1940s themed knit-along being run by Tasha from the By Gum, By Golly blog. I thought that the beret would fit in perfectly with this, so promptly joined up! As the knit-along runs until the 31st January I've still got time to knit something else (its also a good incentive to step up on the knitting) and I'm now in the process of knitting this re-worked cardigan from the brilliant A Stitch In Time - Volume 2. I've got the original pattern, but luckily in this book all the hard work of scaling the pattern to fit has been done. Bonus!

25 comments :

  1. You are clever, the beret looks very professional. Your friend must be very pleased with her pressie.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beret, it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one stunner of a hat (and the model ain't too bad!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous - I love the colours! I've got a fair few old fair isle patterns, but never really thought they were 'me'. This one's changed my mind - I definitely want to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep an eye open for your future Fair Isle knits then :-)

      Delete
  5. Love the beret - I downloaded the Knit for Victory pattern I also joined the Knit for Victory Knit, I'm off to seek out the Debbie Bliss yarn!
    If you make to to my part of the world this year we must say hello.........
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie, yes, I'm a big fan of DB's Rialto 4ply for Fair Isle, the colours are perfect for vintage style knits. That would be lovely to meet up and have a good natter :-)

      Delete
  6. That's absolutely beautiful, such a lot of work, what a lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Woolly :-) I really enjoyed knitting it - which was a big surprise!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous beret, lovely colours. I have just got the yarn together to try out the Victory beret. My friend has just knitted that Susan Crawford cardigan, it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Victory beret is on my list too. Its interesting seeing the different colour combos that people have used.

      Delete
    2. I will look out for yours. I am thinking about putting the new mandarin colour in mine.

      Delete
  8. That Beret is a stunner! Hope you enjoyed the Titfield Thunderbolt over Xmas. I watched it again for the first time in years! Happy New year. Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remembered my favourite film! :-) Yes, I can never get bored of watching this one! I even wrote about it and some other Ealing films for His Vintage Life Magazine - that's how much I love it!!

      Delete
  9. That's a really gorgeous beret.

    I look forward to seeing how your cardigan goes - it's a really lovely pattern. Will you be varying the colours much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. Yes, I've varied the colours with navy being the main colour, but the Fair Isle border colours aren't too different from the pattern.

      Delete
  10. I love knitted berets and wear them often, could only dream about knitting one as spectacular as yours though. Your friend must have beem truly delighted with it ...lucky girl, Gorgeous twinset too, you are clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - I think it took her by surprise which was exactly what I wanted!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous, I love your colour choice. I'm still in awe of your knitting ability!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Dearest Liza ,
    ohh!! lucky lucky me , i'm completely over the flipping moon with my beret , i loved it so so much i cryed , as i knew just how much work and effort went into this beautiful gift , i really cant thank you enough ,
    thank you ,
    loads of love rachel xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure :-) I'm so glad that you love it! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...