Monday, 4 November 2013

Fair Isle Revisited



I decided to have another go at a Fair Isle beret in October and surprisingly for me, I finished it last week! This time though I used a vintage pattern: Bestway A2594, 2- 16 years. And you know what? I found this pattern so much easier to follow than a modern charted one, as its written row-by-row which simplifies things for me.


I followed the pattern to the word, except for the yarn which I substituted with Debbie Bliss' Rialto 4ply and also chose my own colours instead of those stipulated by the pattern. I'm really pleased with the colour choice though as I think it has a proper vintage-esque look to it and I love the red and blue colour combo.

It took just under a month to knit (good going compared to my usual snail pace) and I finally completed it last Monday; darning in all the loose ends took ages though



After a bit of blocking with the help of an old utility plate to give it a bit of shape, the beret was good to go...


...ready for the Spudmonkey to wear to school when it gets chillier - and yes, her name label has been secured into it just in case it ends up in the school's lost property box!

12 comments :

  1. Just gorgeous! I love the color combination you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha. Those colours aren't bad are they (thank goodness!)?

      Delete
  2. I love this one even more than your last one! I think the pattern stands out more with your blue and red colour scheme. Glad to see the woodsware comes in handy for blocking hats too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes so do I - it was a sight easier to knit too. I know I can rely on a fellow utility crockery lover to notice the Woods!

      Delete
  3. I akso find written directions easier than the new graphs.....pretty, classic hat, never out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO beautiful and I just love the colours you have chosen :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful hat! I love the colour combination you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A work of art, it's beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful beret and perfect colours, the old patterns are definitely best, unfortunately I don't get on with double ended and have to work everything out for ordinary needles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. I have got a few knitted berets (all shop bought as my knitting is nowhere near your standard) but none so gorgeous as this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...