Monday, 4 November 2013
Fair Isle Revisited
I decided to have another go at a Fair Isle beret in October and surprisingly for me, I finished it last week! This time though I used a vintage pattern: Bestway A2594, 2- 16 years. And you know what? I found this pattern so much easier to follow than a modern charted one, as its written row-by-row which simplifies things for me.
I followed the pattern to the word, except for the yarn which I substituted with Debbie Bliss' Rialto 4ply and also chose my own colours instead of those stipulated by the pattern. I'm really pleased with the colour choice though as I think it has a proper vintage-esque look to it and I love the red and blue colour combo.
It took just under a month to knit (good going compared to my usual snail pace) and I finally completed it last Monday; darning in all the loose ends took ages though.
After a bit of blocking with the help of an old utility plate to give it a bit of shape, the beret was good to go...
...ready for the Spudmonkey to wear to school when it gets chillier - and yes, her name label has been secured into it just in case it ends up in the school's lost property box!