Sunday, 20 October 2013

Country Life Magazine, October 20, 1960


Here's the second in my series of vintage Country Life magazine reviews. I particularly enjoyed this one with its motor show theme; however I'll try not to drone on about the cars too much in this post.....

As expected, Country Life   did have reviews and adverts for lots of prestige vehicles like Rolls Royce, Jaguar and Porsche, but also ones for more modest cars such as Ford Anglias, Vauxhalls and Rovers, which interest me far more. The motor show article surprisingly included photos of what it termed as 'lower price models', i.e. the cars that our parents and grandparents might have owned from relatively new if they were lucky. This was a real step back in time for me, as being a child of the Seventies I can remember my Dad having some of these like a Wolseley and a dinky Fiat. Also by the time I had learnt to drive, a few of my friends and I preferred these cars which were by then classics, because they had character and were cheap. In fact, I had fun driving two of the models featured in the article; a Triumph Herald Convertible (my then boyfriend's pride and joy) and the VW Beetle:

Me circa 1993 (is it really twenty years ago?!!) with said vehicles. In the bottom left photo, then boyfriend and I were having a joint session on our cars' bodywork I think. P.S. I wish Mum and Dad still had the Cheltenham caravan in the background - although I still have the black cowboy boots that I'm wearing in the top right photo!

The magazine also featured an ad for a vehicle that I've hankered after for a very long time, but will have to probably consign to history now as we don't have room on the drive for the cars we have yet alone another addition. Its this little beauty:


The Bedford Dormobile...long associated with cramped family holidays and later in the 80s, crusty travellers. The VW Camper is this little fellow's better known relative, but there's something very cute about the Bedford Dormobile with its grumpy-looking grille and headlamps combo, little white wheels and 'go-faster' paintwork flash along its sides.

Okay, enough about cars, here's the fashion bits. Country Life's then Fashion Editor obviously decided to go with the car theme with models wearing stylish outfits ideal for those weekend motoring trips out, teamed with cars as styling props:

I love the jacket on the left
Even the clothing ads had stylish illustrations back then:


Although I'm not too sure about the content of these:

Hmmm, I suppose Mrs Three Fountains doesn't have quite the same ring!

And finally, if you wanted to buy a small holiday home back in 1960 and a chocolate-box cottage in the Home Counties wasn't going to cut the mustard (and you had a few grand to spare too), then how about choosing either of these two desirable little overseas residences:


Imagine what they'd be worth today!

8 comments :

  1. Love that photo of you and the Herald! We had one in French Navy about 15 years ago. I love that stylish fashion illustration! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Herald was such a fun car to drive - especially with the top down and the heavy metal blaring out!

      Delete
  2. Great post! Wish my parents still had their sports car and 60's caravan! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie. Like The Woolly Dog wrote below, it would be great to venture back in time and bring back some classic cars that would be in perfect condition!

      Delete
  3. Great photos, never seen a Bedford Dormobile though? oh to be able to go back in time with money and buy things! sounds strange but I'd forgotten we had a classic green sunbeam alpine a few years ago, didn't have it long before he was seduced by a big four wheel drive, back to a little fiat and mini now...would like a classic car but they must need an awful lot of looking after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy a solid and road-worthy classic car you won't regret it - believe me! Its best to give it a yearly service, but otherwise with a little bit of TLC it should give you years of happy motoring.

      Delete
  4. Love the Country Life posts, VK: keep them coming please. The fascination for classic cars is passing to the next generation: my niece is restoring a lovely Triumph Herald convertible, and very impressive it is too - she knows more about car maintenance than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do Mr.W and I'm glad to hear about your niece. She'll have lots of fun in the Herald once its restored and the bonus of those cars is that the bonnet completely opens up, which makes fiddling about with the engine a lot easier.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...