Sunday, 1 September 2013

Ways with Wrapping Paper: No.3


A few weeks ago I brought a 1930s/40s display cabinet from a local charity shop with the intent of renovating it and putting it in my crafting room. It's wooden veneer was a bit shabby and there's a crack in one of the glass panes, but as the glass shelves are intact and it was cheap I thought that it would do the trick.

So, armed with sugar-soap and wet n' dry sandpaper I started to prep it ready for painting; the only fiddly bit was fitting the masking tape around the decorative frames on the front doors, which took longer than I thought!

Instead of the usual satin paint and a brush, I decided to try aerosol paint; but as my spraying technique isn't that good I ended up with quite a few runs. The paint also reacted with the varnish, which resulted in some cracked paint - cue more sanding and respraying.


Because the fabric back of the cabinet looked very shabby and needed re-covering, I resorted to using my favourite cover-up standby: wrapping paper. I brought a few sheets of Rosehip wrapping paper with a seed head design. I've used Rosehip paper before to cover a small set of drawers and found that they're thick enough to withstand the glueing and folding.


Anyway, back to the cabinet...I used Spray Mount to stick the paper to the fabric back as I could easily re-position it so that the pattern matched up; it was also a tidier way to stick the paper down instead of using glue - I'm a messy crafter. Once dry, I couldn't wait to move the cabinet into my room and start to fill it with stuff.



I've used it to store part of my fabric stash, tin collection and treasured bits and bobs such as Monkeychild's pottery, favourite compacts and the carnival glass bowl that my lovely and long-departed great-uncle George used to stub his cigarettes out in (it has since been washed!).








11 comments :

  1. Great renovation VK! Definitely worth the effort to tape all the fiddly bits on the door frames. I like that you get to see your lovely fabric stash rather than having it shoved out of sight in a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes, you're so right about the fabric stash. Hopefully it'll inspire me to do a bit more sewing!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant makeovers! I love the choice of wrapping paper and the china cabinet is stunning - a real work of art! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Finished product looks great. I've been meaning to use some old wallpaper or something to cover the back of a g-plan sideboard but I wasn't sure what to use to stick it. Never heard of spray mount. I'll have to look out for it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy and thanks for your comment. Spray Mount is glue in aerosol form. I have found that its best used outside as the glue particles can spread if you're using it inside. Good luck with the G-Plan project :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, that looks pretty! Well done for rescuing and renovating a lovely old cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohhh, that is NICE! Well worth the effort VK. Let's see how long you can keep it that tidy for , eh? ;D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errr, not for long - especially all that fabric that's currently neatly piled up!

      Delete
  6. What a great renovation! You've done a wonderful job, it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done on your patience in painting such a cute cupboard, it looks absolutely fab! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...