Monday, 12 August 2013

'Station X'


Back in May we drove down to the annual 'Forties Family Festival' held at the former WWII secret intelligence base: 'Station X' aka Bletchley Park, in Buckinghamshire. This year I was also covering it for an article in Her Vintage Life Magazine, which involved taking lots of photos!



You can see from the above photos that everyone takes so much pride and effort into looking the part, which really contributes towards the festival and its atmosphere. In fact, the period styling, authenticity and detail on show would probably put a props stylist on a BBC WWII drama to shame!

Naturally, Monkeychild was also appropriately turned out up in a  dress that I made from a 1940s pattern that I blogged about earlier this year. I was really pleased with how well this fitted her and I love the little puff sleeves.


Apart from all the intelligence history, the other things that I love about the Park are the numerous displays of Forties domestic items. These range from your typical household room of the period...

I love the cooker! 
...through to a museum dedicated to all the little bits and bobs that made up a home like toys, books, clothes, sewing and knitting items - perfect browsing for me. In fact, Husband and Monkeychild left me to mooch about at my leisure whilst they hunted down the ice cream stand! Here's a brief look at some of the items on display that I though might interest you.

Now this handsome fair isle would have been an essential item in a chap's wardrobe. Seventy-odd years since it was first knitted and it could still be worn with style today.


There were more fair isle items on display too; can you see the photo of the pretty little girl wearing her pullover with pride?


This is an original dress - I'm a sucker for a sweetheart neckline...and a novelty print! If you look closely, you'll see that the pattern is made up of rows of ballet dancers.


Look at all these little fascinating items...you can still find many of these at a vintage fair. I particularly like the pink beehive wool holder.


All in all, we had a great day out and were blessed with gorgeous sunny weather too!



14 comments :

  1. Looks like you had a great time at Bletchley.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, I want to go now. I love how everyone's made such an effort to dress authentically and Monkeychild steals the show, she looks just like photos of my Mum in the 1940s!
    Love the novelty print dress. I've seen that wool dispenser in green several times but the pink one's glorious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Fair Isle top, the colours are great.
    Looks like super day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dolly bobbin mat.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing. Love the print on that dress, right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bletchley is indeed a most wonderful place - love that little dress, well done with that creation
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great day out, lovely dress.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks super, thanks so much for sharing the photos. We'll manage a visit one year, I'm sure and you have certainly whetted our appetites!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those Beehive woolholders. They occasionally come up for sale, but they're pretty pricy nowadays.

    It looks as though you had a great time at Bletchley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fantastic photos - looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. It's reminded me that I must go sometime. My grandmother had one of those yarn dispensers in green. I'm sure it's in a loft somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those cream and green 40s saucepans and kitchen larder *swoon*. Reminds me that I still need to blog about my kitchen larder. It's not as nice as that one, but it was cheap and stores all my painting stuff brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea to have a 40s family festival, it must have been so much fun. I also love vintage and the 40s and 50s, but here in Rome there isn't much when it comes to vintage.

    www.hungrycaramella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That beehive dispenser - my mum had one of those in green! Brought back a lot of memories reading this post X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...