Monday, 3 June 2013

So macho!


One of the things that I love about vintage knitting patterns is the way the models look and the poses they adopt, like these two dapper gents...


Chap on the left is intently working his 1930s 'blue steel' glare, whilst the more amiable moustachioed gent on the right looks like he should have a subtitle along the lines of "I say chaps, fancy a round of golf then drinks at the club?' These patterns are part of a collection that a friend who works at a charity shop kindly put by for me. Their previous owner must have been a keen knitter of pullovers for her menfolk judging by the number of similar-looking patterns that she accumulated.


Amongst the mens' patterns were some assorted womens' patterns and books, but the pattern that really caught my eye was for a Sirdar jumper with a shaped ribbed waist, which I reckon is gorgeous. However, its only an advert so I'll have to keep an eye open for this particular pattern in the future.



I took Monkeychild on a trip to Goodrich Castle at the weekend and on the way back stopped off for a little charity shop browsing. The first shop we went into had nothing that caught my interest, but the second had far better finds including a tweed skirt length:


and an embroidered tablecloth:


Monkeychild also showed positive signs of being able to hunt out those vintage bargains when she found (by herself!) this 1960s La Soie evening purse, buying it for 20p to add to her dressing up box.


Finally, thanks goes to Loveknitting who have me as their current 'Blogger of the Week'. So if you want to know what inspires me knit-wise and how many unfinished projects I have hidden away, then why not take a peek.



12 comments :

  1. Love the bag, cannot see that staying in the dressing up box...
    Are you going to knit your man a wooly pully ?
    What are you going to make with the twweed?
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to persuade him that he needs a pullover, Julie. He's not too sure as his wardrobe consists of jeans and t-shirts. But I'm working on him! I haven't got any idea what to make with the tweed yet, so I'll put it with the sewing stash for when inspiration hits me! x

      Delete
  2. Monkeychild's got a great eye, that bag's gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've trained MonkeyChild well I see! Definitely something I would have bought at her age too (maybe even now!) It may be worth keeping an eye out on ebay for the sirdar jumper pattern, it's a lovely fitted shape. Some of the poses on old knitting patterns are hysterically funny. Have you seen Liz's posts over at Shortbread and Ginger? She's done a couple of posts on funny knitting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will take a look on both eBay and etsy for that pattern - its lodged in my head now! I'll have to take a look ay Liz's posts, so much humour ca be gained from those old photos! x

      Delete
  4. I love the poses on mens knitting patterns, and all the various attributes they have (pipes etc). Keep meaning to do a man special on Pattern Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, please do a Man Special, you could do a post on each decade! x

      Delete
  5. Aaah you have some good finds there. I love the Vogue Knitting books; I've got quite a few, but not that one - I bet it's got some ace patterns inside.

    50p for that lovely tablecloth, too - you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those knitting books are great aren't they? This is the first one I've brought though that still has its cover intact! x

      Delete
  6. Hahah! I know where you've been - I recognise those labels! A splendid stop-off for a spot of charity shopping. Excellent finds M'dear! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that Sirdar one somewhere! Give me a few days, and I'll post it on my blog if you like ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...