Thursday, 6 June 2013

Roll up, roll up!

I don't normally do baking posts, but I thought that I'd do one for today's bake:


 A neighbour kindly gave us a jar of her homemade raspberry jam in exchange for some of our eggs (the chooks are still laying an egg each every day!) and this gave me the idea of baking a Victoria sponge. I browsed through a couple of my vintage cookery books for recipes and whilst looking at a one in a 1930s Parkinson book was distracted by a recipe for Swiss roll on the opposite page. As I hadn't made a Swiss roll in ages I thought that I'd give it a go.



What drew my attention to this recipe was that instead of mixing the eggs and sugar together which is what I've done before, you have to separate the eggs and whisk the whites first and then slowly add the yolks and sugar. This creates a really fluffy mix - even after the flour is folded in. After a 10 minute bake I turned it out as advised and found that it rolled up really easily - for once!

And here you go...my Swiss roll ready and waiting to be sliced up for Monkeychild's after school snack. It just goes to show that those old cookery books are just as good - and if not better at times - than some of the modern ones celebrity based ones we buy.





8 comments :

  1. What a gorgeously fluffy swiss roll. I've never baked a swiss roll that way either. Think I might need to dig out my granny's old baking books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I join you. I just love Swiss Roll
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tip. Save me a slice.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A masterpiece! Takes me back to home economics at school! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!
    Send one over to me please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious!!! You have an interesting blog, maybe we can follow each other. Please stop by our blog and let us know.
    a beautiful maison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cake and funnily enough I have that Perfect Cooking book too, bought at a Southampton Oxfam shop and now here in Western Australia, I love the diagrams in it,
    Lovely blog too btw
    Sue
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...