Tuesday, 28 May 2013

A vintage af-fair

'Who Knows Where the Times Goes' sang the melodious Sandy Denny and indeed the time has gone by somewhat quickly since my last post a few weeks ago. I'm also behind with reading and commenting on your posts, but I will get there eventually - I promise!

We had a busy Bank Holiday weekend, fitting in a visit to Bletchley Park (more of that in a later post), a street party and also a vintage fair: 'Vintage at the Racecourse'. I'd never been to this fair before and as it was local, decided to go and have a look. The fair filled two rooms with about a good three quarters vintage and the rest craft stalls with a vintage flavour. This was another fair that had stallholders selling quality and also 'proper' (you know how fussy I am when it comes to vintage) vintage clothing. There were a lot of really lovely 40s and 50s dresses there, especially a gorgeous purple one that I lost my heart to but was far too small for me. I'm so dippy at times - I took my camera with me but forgot to take any pictures as I was too involved in hunting out those finds!However, I did buy a long, swishy 50s skirt, which'll be ideal to wear on a sunny day (if we have any more!) and a frilly petticoat to plump out the bell skirt that I brought a couple of weeks ago.


 Husband and Monkeychild came with me too for a browse, which was lucky as she could try on a cute blue and white 50s/60s St. Michael girls' dress that Lizzie aka The Washerwoman blogger had on her stall. It fitted perfectly and Monkeychild is now happy to have her own vintage dress! It was also nice to meet Lizzie too as our paths hadn't crossed before although we've both commented on each others blogs over the past years. Its always great to meet a fellow blogger.


Charity shop finds have been a bit thin on the ground in the past few weeks since I brought the sewing machine. I've only brought a paste brooch...


...and a 70s Dorma single sheet - both were a bargainous £2 each too! I had a couple of pillowcases in the same pattern but in pink, which I used a couple of years ago to make a summer top for Monkey (it still fits thanks to the adjustable shoulder-straps!). I haven't got any ideas what to use this sheet for, so it'll go into the stash, although I'm still in awe at the vintage sheet patchwork duvet cover that Loo made over at Jumbles and Pompoms blog. If you haven't seen it yet, then check it out as its brilliant and a duvet cover after my own heart.



Fingers crossed that the sun will return for us all next month!

See you soon, VK x

15 comments :

  1. Monkeychild looks adorable in her new frock!
    Grrr, hate non-vintage at vintage events! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, she's very happy with that frock x

      Delete
  2. Monkeychild is so cute, she's like a Suri Cruise without the heels (and odd parents). I love pillowcase tops/dresses for little girls, they're really sweet.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I can confirm that we're not Scientologists although we may be a bit odd at times! x

      Delete
  3. Monkeychild looks awesome in her vintage top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reckon that a little knitted cardie will be a perfect match too x

      Delete
  4. Love your 70s Dorma sheet, great colour. I'm so jealous of all these folk who find fantastic vintage sheets in charity shops, I can never find any locally, still enjoy the challenge though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up on the vintage sheet quest, Jo! x

      Delete
  5. Lovely finds, pretty dresses.
    I'm off to a vintage fair on Sunday at Wraxall
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have some lovely buys at the fair, Julie. You'll have to blog about them too x

      Delete
  6. That 'Vintage at the racecourse' looked good - must keep any eye out - quite near to us too. Love Monkeychild's dress - and the summer top you made! Fingers crossed for more sunshine - hopefully this weekend, I hear? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd certainly recommend a visit to 'Vintage at the Racecourse' when its next on and I've heard the same about this weekend too - fingers crossed for some sun and heat! x

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pictures. I love the brooche !!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Monique Elizabeth :-)
      x

      Delete
  8. Lovely to meet you at long last! So please that the dress has found a happy home. Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...