Monday, 22 April 2013

Vintaging in Bath

It was a lovely sunny morning yesterday when I set out for Bath to visit the BathVA Vintage Fashion Fair. I hadn't been before, but the website promised a day of vintage retail therapy so that can't be bad can it? Located within the former Green Park Railway Station - a victim of Dr Beeching's Report ...'Boo!' - I was welcomed by the sounds of swing music being played - and loud!

  
What I wore - Dress: 1940s number brought from Stroud Subscription Rooms jumble sale circa 1980s, Shoes: Miss L Fire 'Roxy'

Now I hate it when I go to a vintage fair and the actual clothing present is outweighed by the amount of 1980s and even 90s tat that some sellers are purporting to be 'vintage', but I'm happy to state that the BathVA fair was far removed from that sort of event. I was pleased to see that the numerous stalls were selling 'proper' vintage clothes; by that I mean pre-1980s with quality 1940s, 50s and 60s items very much in evidence. It was looking like I wasn't going to have a wasted journey...

So what did I buy? Well I set out to find a 1950s cardie as I've only got one left and I found the perfect angora one on the Cock-a-Doodle Vintage stall. The photo doesn't do it justice as its a bright pea green colour; I also brought a vibrant green patterned cotton jacket. I really love these as they're great to wear with jeans and an ideal cover up for Spring's hopefully warmer temperatures!




Many of the stalls had glorious 1950s dresses and circle skirts - some with fabulous novelty prints or large rose blooms; however none were in my size - a drawback to vintage shopping! However, I did find some embroidered shoes that fitted...


...and also a crimplene 70s jacket with seriously winged collars:


In addition to the vintage on offer were new vintage-style jeans from Lady K Loves. I've hankered for a pair of such jeans for a while, but have been put off from buying any online as I've found that I have to try on numerous to find a perfect fit. No such problems with Lady K Loves as I was given excellent advice on which style to buy for my measurements and I soon found the idea pair for my curves!

To round off an enjoyable morning's shopping I also brought these engraved 50s specs, which I'll get fitted with some prescription lenses.


So all in all, I can honestly say that this was one of the best vintage clothing fairs that I've been to for a long time, not only for the range and quality of clothing on offer but also for the friendly and knowledgeable stallholders. I'm always happy to buy off someone who clearly loves selling vintage clothes and knows their subject, and its great if they can also give you a little bit of background info about what you've brought. For example, the ladies I brought the yellow shoes from told me that these had been part of a collection that they had purchased from a lady who had once been an actress. I wonder if my shoes had once tread the boards in The Mikado?





21 comments :

  1. Lovely finds. Love the cardigan, that is my sort of cardigan! The shoes are beautiful. I too hate Vintage Fairs that sell any modern tat! Love your spotty dress.
    I hadn't thought of having lens put into vintage frames. I have some glasses that once belonged to my grandmother. Says a lot about glasses frames fashion as she had two pairs of the same frames that are 50's and as and when she needed a new pair of glasses she always has a spare set - must go and seek them out of the drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of the High Street opticians will fit lenses into frames that aren't their brand, so I'm having to do a web search. Hopefully I'll find someone who'll be able to fit the lenses!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous you and fabulous finds! I love that green printed jacket and even a cardi-phobe like me can see why you snapped up that beaut! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent a lot more but I had to be restrained!....

      Delete
  3. Lovely finds, especially those beautiful shoes. I'm so old (cough, cough) that I remember Green Park being a railway station. When I was little, before Beeching wielded his railway axe, we had a local-ish railway station (now part of a cycle path) where we would catch the steam train into Bath Green Park. Ah, happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its makes you wonder if we would have had a far better rail network if Beeching hadn't been allowed to make such dramatic cuts to the smaller branches? But what lovely memories to have though.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had an amazing time - and what a fabulous haul. That cardy & those shoes are just gorgeous.

    Www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Helen, I shall be visiting that fair again for certain :-)

      Delete
  5. You looked fabulous VK. I wish I'd gone now - I could have tussled with you for that lovely cardi! I do hope you can find an optician up to the job - splendid glasses indeed. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I think I have found someone who can fit the lenses, just waiting to hear from them, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. goodness lovely location in Bath and Vintage, you must have loved it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I certainly did - and I'll be going back for more!

      Delete
  7. Whoo, you looked great and what fab items you bought. I am completely with you on the '80s stuff branded as '40s gear. I'll have to pay this fair a visit, thanks for reporting back and inspiring me to go next time.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Hen. I'd certainly recommend this fair and believe that regular vintage fairs are held by BathVA.

      Delete
  8. I've been pondering over giving this fair a visit. I went to one at the Assembly Rooms last year that was terrible and it kind of put me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you or Vintage Knitter are in town, do let me know - I'd love to meet up.

      The Bath fair has definitely improved from when it launched; I was really impressed last time I went.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for both your comments and I know what you mean Miss Magpie, its really disheartening when you look forward to a fair and it turns out to be crap!
    Mim - ooh yes that would be really nice - perhaps the three of us could arrange to meet up? That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eek I love everything, especially your new glasses, you had some great finds! (also just noticed you had a discount code in your last post for Love Knitting and I just placed an order, argh!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow long time i haven't´visited your blog and i see i have missed a lot:( you look absolutely gorgeous in your fabulous blue polka dot dress and i loooove your glasses! and you made some great finds! i love especially the cardigan it reminds me so much of grace kelly somehow;)
    hope you had a wonderful weekend darling!
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...