Monday, 8 April 2013

Pins & wheels

As we've got a couple of 1940s events to go this this year and Monkeychild hasn't got anything vintage-stylee to wear I decided to make something for her from this American 1940s pattern:

I'm making the one on the left

A couple of weeks in and I've cut all the pattern pieces out and have started seaming, but I have to admit that I've got a tad confused with the instructions and have gone off piste so to speak. But, so far (fingers crossed) its looking okay and it seems to fit her, so all I have to do now is fit the sleeves, pockets and hem.


By the way - did any of you see the first episode last week of BBC2's fab new programme the Great British Sewing Bee? I loved it and can't wait to watch the next episode tomorrow; my favourite to win is Mark - I love it that he doesn't fit into the 'conventional' idea of what someone would expect a sewer to be. Go Mark!

On a final note, I've written an article in this month's Vintage Life Magazine about what to look for when buying your first classic car (mine was a 1972 VW Beetle a long time ago). I've tried to condense about twenty odd years of classic motoring experience into a few paragraphs and hope that the article does help anyone who'd love to buy a classic, but aren't too sure where to start.

Archie & I glammed up




21 comments :

  1. Monkeychild's dress looks great and almost identical to the one pictured on the pattern.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. I chose the fabric especially so that I could match the dress on the packet for more authenticity!

      Delete
  2. That is one sweet dress and well done on getting in print. I reckon you and Jon would get on like a house on fire! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reckon so, I can endlessly chunter on about classic cars...to the boredom of everyone else!

      Delete
  3. The dress is coming along great, I absolutely love the rick rack. Can't wait to watch the next episode of the Sewing Bee too!

    Congrats on the magazine article! Great picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I'll be on the sofa tonight at 8pm, tea at hand and knitting on the go ready to watch the Sewing Bee!

      Delete
  4. Dearest liza,
    Always lovely catching up,
    the dress looks amazing, lucky little girl , and so do you, cant wait to come and visit , we have 20 years of catching up , poor old mark,
    love rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either. By the way, I bet you can remember first Beetle, it was the brown one which was the first, followed by the red and black one off Gary. Good times!

      Delete
    2. Hi liza,
      of course i remember both beetles, good times had in cheltenham!!
      just drove 20 miles to get the vintage life mag, well done sweetie gary and i both thought it was a great artical ,
      cant wit to see you , love rachel xxxx

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rach, glad you both liked it - especially Gary as he's the VW nut!Have a great birthday on Saturday too xxx

      Delete
  5. The simplicity pattern look great and so does your creation! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BH. I was looking for a pattern like this and luckily found it on Etsy, which is a treasure trove for vintage patterns

      Delete
  6. I love the pattern. It's really cute- but even more, because I have the ADULT version of it!!
    Love how your fabric matches the pattern cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, that's such a coincidence! Have you made the dress?

      Delete
    2. Not yet :) I have traced the pattern, it is just waiting for me to size it up :)

      Delete
  7. I'm loving GBSB too, such a shame Mark got knocked out of the contest last night. Your dress is fab and the authentic looking fabric makes it all the more special. Congrats on your magazine article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Fiona, and it was a shame that Mark had to go - I was hoping that he'd make it into the finals

      Delete
  8. oh what a darling dress you are making for your little sweetheart! i´m impressed you even found a fabric like the one of the illustration!!!! i honestly have to admit i´m done with vintage patterns they never fit me (maybe my body is so weird) and i have to change so much that i prefer drawing my own patterns.
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, I know what you mean about using vintage patterns as I always have to modify them to fit me - normally adding a few extra inches here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is gorgeous.
    Where are the 1940's events being held.......?
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, one's at Toddington Railway in Gloucetershire and one at Bletchley Park - good times! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...