Last week I decided to redecorate the spare/sewing room and tackled it head-on; from the picture rails down to skirting boards. I had previously painted the walls in a mid-lilac colour with a darker shade on the woodwork, but this had started to look shabby and certainly not chic. So, out came the paint charts and I settled upon a pinkish-white colour for the walls and white for the woodwork.
To be honest, I had thought that the decorating would only take about two full days, but it took double that as I had to paint everything with three coats - four in some places! During this slog, I kept repeating "It'll be worth it, it'll be worth it!" in my head like a mantra!
It was only mid-way through the decorating that the penny dropped and I realised that some 1950s wallpaper which I had recently brought, might look good pasted up in one of the room's alcoves. This had been a market stall buy; a half-used roll of thick, textured wallpaper with an abstract design typical of that period and a bargain for a round pound. Luckily, the colours in the paper matched the new paintwork and with copious amounts of extra-strong wallpaper glue slopped on and a bit of crafty piecing together, I had just enough to cover the alcove.
|The first strip|
I'm so pleased with how the room's turned out especially as it's a lot more lighter now, which is ideal for sewing. I also had a good clear out and re-sort of all my stuff, which resulted in five carrier bags full of books being delivered to my local hospice charity shop.
Now all I need to do now is find the time to get sewing!