Monday, 18 March 2013

On a roll: fabulous Fifties wallpaper


 Last week I decided to redecorate the spare/sewing room and tackled it head-on; from the picture rails down to skirting boards. I had previously painted the walls in a mid-lilac colour with a darker shade on the woodwork, but this had started to look shabby and certainly not chic. So, out came the paint charts and I settled upon a pinkish-white colour for the walls and white for the woodwork.

To be honest, I had thought that the decorating would only take about two full days, but it took double that as I had to paint everything with three coats - four in some places! During this slog, I kept repeating "It'll be worth it, it'll be worth it!" in my head like a mantra!

It was only mid-way through the decorating that the penny dropped and I realised that some 1950s wallpaper which I had recently brought, might look good pasted up in one of the room's alcoves. This had been a market stall buy; a half-used roll of thick, textured wallpaper with an abstract design typical of that period and a bargain for a round pound. Luckily, the colours in the paper matched the new paintwork and with copious amounts of extra-strong wallpaper glue slopped on and a bit of crafty piecing together, I had just enough to cover the alcove.

The first strip
Papering completed!
 And here's the final result...


I'm so pleased with how the room's turned out especially as it's a lot more lighter now, which is ideal for sewing. I also had a good clear out and re-sort of all my stuff, which resulted in five carrier bags full of books being delivered to my local hospice charity shop.

Now all I need to do now is find the time to get sewing!


16 comments :

  1. I am too having a good clear out of my craft room!
    What doesn't get sold at boot fairs this year will be in the charity shops in time for Christmas!

    Love the wallpaper.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to have a sort-out doesn't it? Although I didn't mention that I also re-housed the wool stash and am shocked at how much I've got. Reckon I should start knitting from the stash from now on (like that's going to happen!) xx

      Delete
    2. Mmmmmmm! I know what you mean - I have three black bags of yarn. I am going to have to knit from stash as I no longer work in a craft shop and no longer work! Perhaps we should set ourselves a challenge!
      Julie xxxxx

      Delete
  2. What a masterpiece, that's just genius! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on completing the task!
    How easy was it to apply the 50s paper to the alcoves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easy Jimmy, I thought it would be a lot harder but it helped heavy quite robust wallpaper rather than flimsy stuff

      Delete
  4. It looks great!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks fantastic! What a bargain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks brilliant.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It most definitely was worth it... looks fabulous!! I'm on the look out for some wall paper to cover a wall in my bedroom to cheer it up... not found any yet.. but this has inspired me to look harder... Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job! It looks like a lovely relaxing place to be creative! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well worth all the effort it looks great, the 50's wallpaper is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be so inspired by this space now. Thanks for posting the photos and feel free to drop by me too when you have time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...