Monday, 4 February 2013

Food for thought

With the exception of a niggly little cough, I've made a full recovery after the pneumonia and would like to say Thank You to everyone who left a comment wishing me a speedy recovery after my last post.

It came upon me so quickly; one evening I had the aches and thought that I had 'flu coming on, then a few days later it had turned into pneumonia which left me feeling totally feeble, shivering, breathless and with a hacking cough to boot. Now, I'm not one to give out public health messages, but if you've ever got 'flu and find yourself breathless, then phone your GP at once. I didn't realise until my GP confirmed it that pneumonia can take a sudden grip - even if you're a healthy adult with no underlying health issues - and if untreated, pneumonia can have serious consequences. Luckily for me though, I didn't have to go to hospital and was prescribed antibiotics with my GP telling me to "Take things easy". I felt so rough I didn't even feel like knitting!


After being cooped up in the house for two weeks, I ventured out this weekend and brought a couple of cookery books from my local Red Cross bookshop to add to my collection. One is a 1937 edition of The Electric Cooker and How to Use it. Only the very fortunate could afford an electric cooker in the Thirties as most households still used a cast iron range to cook on, and an electric cooker was both very desirable and expensive too. To help those housewives who managed to persuade their husbands to fork out for a new cooker, the book provides a comprehensive 'how to' guide and also includes an array of recipes interspersed with advertising for products such as McDougall's flour, Rolamatic electric irons and the delightfully named Scrubb's Cloudy Ammonia.


Don't think that I'd want to wash my hair with ammonia!
Here's a sample of cake recipes from the book that you might like to try out - especially if you're a 'hasty cook'!


The other book I brought is a very hefty tome indeed: Mrs Beeton's Cookery and Household Management dating from 1960. I love cookery books that also include colour photos and this book has plenty ranging from food assortments such as bread....


...through to room interiors like these coloured bathroom suites. These photos made me wonder if the spectre of avocado and brown bathroom suites from the Seventies has seen off coloured suites like these for good? I wouldn't mind inheriting a period bathroom with a perfect primrose yellow bath and sink like that below; I think they look really pretty. Although, I don't go much on mixing colours like the blue bath and pink bidet (very continental for the time!) and loo! Far too optically busy for me.


And finally, as Valentine's Day is looming, here's a recipe for Valentine's Cake taken from the trusty Mrs Beeton book...


P.S. Hello and welcome to my new readers  :-)

7 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better and getting out and about again. Glad the chazzas came up trumps for you, that book is a great find! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are feeling better.
    The book is a great find
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto from me. Keep healthy.
    We used to have the first bathroom suite (when we first bought our house) in a dark green. It was very 'substantial' and the bath was extremely heavy when we redid the bathroom. We had to smash it up to even carry it out of the house.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you're feeling better, although I suspect the cuppa and the Jaffa Cake worked more magic than the antibiotics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you've been so ill, but hurrah for new books and being on the mend! I like that advert for Spry that 'makes everything more digestible' - not aimed at the best cooks then!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to discover your blog and so hope you are recovering from pneumonia....yes it's awful and makes you quite 'out of it' for a while.
    Loved looking into the old cookery books which reminded me of my childhood.

    The one we used most was the 'Regulo'' cook book.
    I think it came with the stove!
    As an ex-pat in New York you blog was a lovely blast of things British!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear the pneumonia is better. Keep taking care of yourself, though, as an infection like that can wear you out for a while. (I was hospitalised with it as a kid and have a right rubbish pair of lungs!)

    I like coloured bathroom suites, there's an ad for them in a book I have from the 1930s. I wish someone would make them again - not dark ones, but a nice pale yellow or blue art deco style suite would be nice. You're right about the mismatched suites being a bit much, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...