Tuesday, 15 January 2013

The Sweet Things in Life

Any ideas about starting a New Year diet went out of the window at the weekend when I was faced with this winning combination: pastries and yarn!

 
On Sunday, a friend invited a group of us to her shop to review some yarn for a feature that she's got lined up. We were lucky enough to get our eager mitts on a range of new yarns including some gorgeous new Rowan Spring/Summer yarn and a sublime mossy green 4ply from  Manos del Uruguay.


We tried out each of the yarns and there were a couple that were clear winners with everyone.  I can't go into much more detail, but once I can 'go public' with it I'll let you all know a bit more.

I'm still working on my 1950s 4ply sweater, but am finding knitting a whole adult garment in 4ply quite hard-going as it doesn't seem to 'grow' as quick as double-knit or aran. Being a slow knitter isn't very helpful either and I know my current aim of sticking with this knit until its finished is going to be severely challenged by the onslaught of new Spring/Summer patterns that will be launched soon!

Finally, if you haven't already, I would recommend you checking out Wendy at The Butterfly Balcony's recent blogpost about her version of a 1940s Fair Isle pullover that she knitted for her Dad. It is truly amazing and even the floats on the reverse of her knitting look perfect; if I could knit Fair Isle as neatly as that I would be well chuffed!

9 comments :

  1. Happy new year VK! Yarn and pastry is indeed a winning combination. Wish I understood knitting though, it just passes over my head. My Granny on the other hand could produce fantastic fair isle patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too Jo! I know what you mean about knitting as it took me about 20 years to learn and now I can knit, I think it'll take me another 20 years to learn how to crochet. In my case, it's having to get over my mental block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's not just me who's a slow knitter! Most of my friends seem to be cranking out jumpers left, right and centre, while I'm still plodding along on my 4ply cardigan. Keep at it, your woolly will get finished in the end.

    I love Manos yarns, I keep eyeing up the Silk Blend 4ply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Mim, I'm pleased to know that I'm not alone!

      Delete
  4. OOO lucky you and thanks for the Wendy tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being surrounded by wool and cake sounds like the perfect way to spend a Sunday!
    I am another slow knitter, far to easily distracted I am afraid! and flipping 4 ply takes ages, thats why I enjoy knitting fro my friends children, its always much quicker!

    Oh and Thank you for the mention you have made my day! I can assure you I made sure I took pictures of the neatest parts;) Knitting on circular needles really did help, though I got in just as much of a tangle as ever, think I spent as much time untangling my colours as I did knitting it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow slow knitter! I am deffo going to give it a while before I knit another adult garment in 4ply!!! No worries about the mention, I'm always happy to promote other bloggers - share the love!!

      Delete
  6. I like the look of those cinnamon swirls and Danish pastries!
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...