Wednesday, 19 December 2012

A Fifties Knit & a Charity Knit

I've finally finished the Christmas present knitting so now I'm knitting for me and am working my way through this pattern, which was a 20p find at a local market...

 

Apart from the design, what also caught my eye are the variety of sizes the pattern caters for, as I find that many vintage patterns only go up to a 34-36" bust and occasionally a 38". I know that you can size a pattern up or down to suit, but as my math skills are virtually non-existent I'd rather have someone else do all the hard work for me, so that I can just get on with the knitting. I've chosen to knit the Dolman sleeve version  and am knitting the main body in a dark grey 4-ply, but am as yet undecided about what colour to knit the contrast bands in - either a light grey or black. What do you think?


After I got past those inches of ribbing, I made quite good progress...


...and have completed the right arm and am now moving on to knit up the opposite side. I'm lucky that its been a easy pattern (don't speak too soon!!!) so far - but reckon that once I've got the front finished, I should whizz through the back. Although I'm not looking forwards to all that seaming and hope that after all this work it'll fit!


Finally - and this ties in quite nicely with my last post about the Wartime Farm book review, I have to thank LandGirl 1980 for her recent post promoting a charity knit for the Wartime Farm Sleeveless Pullover knitting pattern. This in turn led me to Susan Crawford's Just Call me Ruby blog where Susan has expertly reworked the original vintage pattern as a modern knit - and in a variety of sizes from a child up to an adult. Hurrah! the hard work's been done! The pattern in question is the Fair Isle pullover that co-presenter Alex Langlands nonchalantly wore during the BBC2 Wartime Farm series. You can purchase the pattern for £5 from here, where £2.50 of that price will go towards the well deserving Womens Land Army Tribute.





13 comments :

  1. It's looking good, VK. Looking forward to seeing the finished result. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loo. I'm trying hard not to become distracted by other projects.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting! I haven't knit fair isle for years! Might give it a go.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be, but will be knitting the child's size ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, loving the long sleeve version. Maybe a lighter grey would contrast better with the charcoal? Can't wait to see the finished article. As ever, I am in awe of your knitty needle skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. I was thinking that the lighter grey might suit it more too, as the black might be a bit too harsh.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up about the pattern - looks great! As for the jumper, how about a pale blue or light green for the contrast; it often looks really nice with grey, and would be fitting for the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, I hadn't given mush thought about using a colour instead. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jayne. I was going to go for grey, but now am not so sure after reading Nicole's comment.

      Delete
  6. that vintage sweater looks absolutely fabulous, you have to make an outfit post when you finished it;)
    darling i wish you great holidays and a merry merry christmas;)
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do an outfit post - if it fits! Have a happy Christmas too, Mary xxx

      Delete
  7. wow, this sweater looks a real labour of love!
    Anytime I attempt something thats going to take me a while (which this would) I'm fed up with it by the end and have to give it away
    Happy New year to you, and thanks for the comment you left
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...