Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Yarn Bombed!

Hello, I'm back again to share with you my first ever attempt at yarn bombing:

In-situ on signpost

The finished piece
A few weeks ago myself and a group of friends decided to yarn bomb the street furniture outside another friend's wool shop in readiness for the shop's official opening. For those of you who aren't aware of what yarn bombing is its basically using knitting and crochet as a form of street art to decorate street furniture, trees, statues...anything really. Although technically illegal, yarn bombing is far more friendly than aerosol graffiti as it can be easily removed without damaging the item its attached to (yarn bombed knitting or crochet is usually attached by stitching pieces onto the item to be decorated or with tie-wraps). As long as the yarn bombing doesn't obscure signs, cause trip hazards or similar its usually left in place until the yarn bombers remove it or it gets nicked.

My contribution to the Secret Knitters Gang's yarn bombing effort was the large garter stitch square above that I knitted with oddments of dk acrylic that I had in my stash. For additional garish eye-catching power, I adorned it with knitted flowers and embroidery leaves. I must admit though that I didn't actually help to attach all the knitted items under cover of darkness, as another couple of friends (one of whom took the excellent photos in this post) did the deed during Hallowe'en dressed up in wigs and glasses whilst dodging beer bottles thrown by drunk morons. Anyway, here's more of the Gang's stitchy yarn bombing for you...

A first class knitted delivery!
Flower power
A pocketful of yarn
Smile and the world smiles with you

18 comments :

  1. a beautified landscape! the flowers and leaves on your finished piece are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I think we all did a good job of beautifying what is a pretty boring roundabout junction!

      Delete
  2. I love this - I've seen yarn bombing before but something about yours makes me feel really inspired to try it in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it, as I think it cheers up places and people alike. I've also come across people who knit random items and then leave them in public locations for others to find as a surprise, which is a neat idea.

      Delete
  3. What fantastic yarn bombing. I've suggested a group of us do this on the factory gates of a recently shut down brewery in my area. I'll forward them this post as inspiration! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of yarn bombing resources in the net too, Vix, that you could check out. Apparently the public response has been great to our yarn bombing, so I'd recommend it. The only complaints have been from a traffic warden, but that's no surprise there!

      Delete
  4. That is so inspiring! Well done. Your piece with the flowers is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nicole. I really enjoyed knitting it, I think it was the freestyle element that appealed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really nice pieces - so many people just attach knitted squares to things, but all those bits have personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its because there was a group of us knitting for it, so you had a bit of everyone's personality into the mix.

      Delete
  7. i´ve already heard of yarn bombing before but never seen it :( it looks like fun and on the other side you are making your surroundings more beautiful and brighter;) i love the piece you made!
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Lou, the knitting certainly cheered up not only the surroundings (which are rather grey) but people too, which can't be bad
      :-)

      Delete
  8. How did I miss this post!!! That's some of the loveliest yarn bombing I've seen in a while. I'd be over the moon to come across those stitched delights. Keep up the good work Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that in Cheltenham looks lovely and festive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Textureknit, but its outside Bluestocking Yarn & Gifts (used to be Along Came Polly) in Cainscross near Stroud. Can recommend a reccie of the shop if you're in the area.

      Delete
  10. A great yarn bomb! I keep threatening to do this too, it would be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see examples of yarn bombing ~ although I haven't taken part in it myself ~ yet! Thanks for the great post. ~ Linne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...