Saturday, 13 October 2012

C is for Crockery


Firstly, I have to admit that this post's title was nicked from  inspired by the brilliant Emily Sutton's print of the same name, which I have as a framed card on the kitchen shelf. I would love to have one of Emily's screenprints (Santa - are you reading this?), but will make do with my card version for now. Anyway, it's a very appropriate picture as you'll soon find out...

It's not very often that I accept an invitation from a complete stranger to come and have a nose around his outbuildings (it wasn't a chat up line...honest!), but after buying some bits and bobs from his stall and having having a good old chin-wag about the glories car booting past and present, he slipped me his card and extended the invitation. So today with Husband's leaving words ringing in my ears "Don't go mad...we haven't got the space", I took Archie for a drive around some country lanes until I arrived at said location and boy...I wasn't disappointed. Look what I found tucked away in a dark and dirty corner...



...I was in utility china heaven. Forget the dirt and the tottering stacked up towers of saucers and plates - this is the sort of nosing about that I LOVE.

Mr. Outbuilding asked what I was looking for and off I reeled my wants (cups, saucers, dinner plates, side plates, bowls) whilst he was balanced on a stepladder reaching into the highest shelf that contained all the Woods Ware. I also had a dip into the shelf below and picked out some gorgeous Meakin Glamour Rosa dessert dishes, a Johnson Bros Yellowdawn serving dish and various plates. So with grubby hands and a bootful of crockery I set off home for a big washing-up session and shelf/cupboard re-arrangement.




 And tonight we ate our dinner off the new old plates that I brought today. Perfect.




22 comments :

  1. Oh my word! I would surely have swooned at the mere sight of all this loveliness. I think you showed great restraint x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy - Needless to say that Husband was pleased that I showed great restraint! But I didn't tell him that I'm going to plunder Mr. Outbuilding's stash again soon!
      ;-D

      Delete
  2. Wow, just wow. I need to find an outbuilding man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you must have been in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! It all looks beautiful sitting on your dresser. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment :-) Thats one of the best things about the china is its mix and match-ability

    ReplyDelete
  6. How absolutely wonderful!!! It just looks perfect - what great finds.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fab on your dresser. What an invitation to receive:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so pretty arranged on your dresser like that, you lucky thing! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your comments - I love reading them. I'm lucky to have a crockery pimp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could I get Mr Outbuilding's number too? Hehe. What a selections of styles and colours. Pastel china heaven. I love all your Woodsware cups hanging from your dresser too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Im Julie from Australia. I have been collecting pastel china for a few years and have decided to start hiring it out for kitchen teas, baby showers etc to try and earn some extra money. I was so jealous when i saw your latest post!! You lucky girl! I am desperately searching for more cups, saucers and plates but its a pastel china desert here in OZ!!!! I love your blog! I think we would be good friends? Enyoy your pretties lucky girl!! Xxx Julie in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, welcome to my blog and thanks for leaving a comment. Good luck with your china search; I hope you strike it lucky too! P.S. Yup - good friends indeed :-D

      Delete
  12. How absolutely fantastic - what a great find! My dad (and his dad, and his granddad...) all worked for Johnson's at one time, and my dad later worked as a chemist to help create those beautiful pastel glazes - we used to laugh because he had no sense of colour at all...! They look so beautiful all piled up on your dresser. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish Mr Outbuilding was near me, that looks like my kinda place.
    Well done finding your crockery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word, I bet you were virtually hyperventilating with excitement! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness gracious - that is heaven on a shelf! How lovely it all looks and needs to be used
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG that is awesome, dare we asked what husband said!

    Me and H had a little look in a couple of charity shops on Bath road and purchased three plates for £1 each that just love. Only problem I found is they don't like to split collections but I don't want a whole set in those shops. My favourtie shop is little charity shop at the very top of the street by what was the veg shop they are lovely in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a bit surprised shall we say ;-)
      I know the one you mean, they are really friendly as are the volunteers in the Cotswold Care Hospice by the post office. We take all our donations to the Hospice shop for that reason; we used to take them to the nearby British Red Cross shop, but they were so miserable and hardly said 'Thank you' just 'Take the to the back (of the shop)' and that was that.

      Delete
  17. Oh my lord that is just heaven how did I miss this post?!!? Just catching up and I am SO SO SO jealous! Absolutely gorgeous! Was he reasonably priced? How on earth does someone end up with soo much utility china?
    Amazing!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...