Sunday, 2 September 2012

Mellow Yellow

Crikey...where has August gone to? I can't believe how quickly the last month has flown past; all plans have been put into disarray with the atrocious weather and a visit to the allotment yesterday confirmed my fears that it had turned into a bramble and mare's-tail filled jungle. Oh well, we're now into September and all fingers are crossed for being blessed with an Indian Summer (fat chance!).

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in and have a brief catch up with you all. Is it my imagination, or has utility china started to become a mainstream collectible? It's always has its hardcore band of collectors (you know who you are and I love reading your blogs!), but recently I've been seeing bits and pieces appear in various magazines and even some charity shops have begun to notice this - hence the pricing becoming more steeper than usual. There are a few places though where a bargain can still be picked up such as this Grindley Petalware coffee pot brought for a picture perfect £4.50.


To add to my Petalware platter collection, I also brought a further two in Laburnum Petal and Peach Petal for £2 each. I'd love to have a platter in every colour made, although storage is now becoming an issue in the VK household. This may shock some of you, but I've had to step back and walk away from some pieces as I'm  starting to run out of room where crockery storage is concerned . I need a bigger kitchen! However, I've decided to keep on collecting the Woods Ware and the Petalware, but draw the line at other utility makes...unless I find a stunning piece.


Its funny really, you can go months without finding anything and then suddenly utility china is popping up everywhere.

Did you notice the Bestway cookery book hiding behind the coffeepot? This was another super find that I made a few weeks ago. I love the illustrations in it...



Serge & Tweed's smashing blog has a 'Hidden Book Treasures' series which comprises little surprises found tucked away in books that she's brought. Well, this is my book treasure that I found slipped into the cookery book, which harks back to a time when a telephone was a luxury, everyone wrote with a fountain pen and the postal system was super efficient; you could expect  postal deliveries twice a day:


And finally - those with a sensitive disposition look away now...

Here's an apron chazza shop find, nattily modelled by Husband!


19 comments :

  1. Oh my! I have just laughed my socks off - wasn't expecting the last photo at all! I won't ask how you persuaded Mr VK to model (or whether he is of Scottish origin, ahem) but it certainly made me smile.
    Enjoyed seeing your hidden book treasure and thank you for the Serge & Tweed plug x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's of Irish descent, so no Scots connection there. I didn't dare post a photo of the rear view!

      Delete
    2. Hahahahaha - you've set me off again!

      Delete
  2. That cookbook looks ace. Will you be sharing some recipes from it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can if you like :-) Is there anything particular you're interested in, Mim?

      Delete
  3. Love the last photo - brightened up my morning! Cookery book looks interesting.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have brightened up your morning, Liz
      ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hello Lovely!
    I completely agree with you about the utility china (p.s I hope I was one of the ones you were referring to! hehe!) I saw rather a lot in this months homes and antiques mag, and the prices are definitlely on the rise - although I was really bad and paid a whole £12 on a blue greydawn coffee pot the other day which makes your yellow find look like a complete bargain! I'll keep buying jugs as they are my fave, but I have cut back on the other bits and pieces unless I truely love them!
    I must post my most recent finds, been slacking a bit!
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend!
    xx Gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gem, yes you're certainly one of the fellow utility lovers that I was referring to :-D I've been naughty too and brought six Jasmine soup plates online yesterday. If they had been Beryl I wouldn't have bothered. Funnily enough, I was talking to one of my utility ware pimps the other week and she was saying that sets of utility china especially Jasmine and Peach Petalware are being snapped up at auction now, whereas a couple of years ago you couldn't give it away. Hope you has a lovely weekend too..and don't forget to post those finds.

      Delete
  5. Ha, love the last photo, the apron is definitely his size! I think you are right, utility china is now very popular and the prices have inflated.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband is now glorying in his new found fame!

      Delete
  6. I the coffee pot, so pretty! Prices are on the increase, definitely. I always love to find little notes written inside books, I love to see a little of thier history. If I give someone a new book, I always write a little note in the front cover :o) Brilliant pinny - great photo - certainly made me chuckle on a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It helps to have a chuckle on a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What glorious china! I daren't have anything delicate for fear that it would suffer a nasty fate. All my glass is shut away in a glass cabinet for safety :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Melanie, I know what you mean about using special china everyday - I've already had a big chip on one of my Jasmine dinner plates :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! That last picture has just made my day!
    You're right the prices have shot up for BerylWare/Woodware/Petalware espeically in the charity shops here!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought that photo might make people smile! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that picture of Mr VK in his apron. I think I need to get Jon in his Mussolini one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could start a trend for posting pics of other halves dressed in nothing but aprons! ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...