Monday, 2 July 2012

What's cooking...?

...lavender shortbread that's what!


I remembered reading a recipe for lavender shortbread in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's book The River Cottage Year and decided to give it a try this morning. Luckily we've got some lavender bushes in the garden so I harvested some flower heads to use and some to dry, and cracked on with the baking.

Ready to pop into the oven
I didn't want to use a round baking tin to press the mix into and thought I'd use this cake tin instead, which was a jumble sale find.

Whilst the shortbread was baking, I made some shortcrust pastry for a pea and shallot quiche. Unfortunately the peas on the allotment didn't take for some reason this year (in comparison to last year's bumper crop), but the garlic and shallots are virtually ready, so I raided the lotty for some shallots. Making the quiche is a good reason to use up some of our eggs as we're getting four a day now. I picked out three, but when I cracked two I found out that they were double yolkers! Good on you, girls! However, I spent a bit too much time talking to a friend on the 'phone and when I remembered about the quiche it was too late. That burnt crust is almost the same shade as George Hamilton's leathery hide!

Nice filling, shame about the crust!
With the left-over scraps of pastry I made some cheese and poppy seed  snails for Monkeychild..


...there were three originally, but I couldn't resist eating one fresh from the oven!

Now, I'm not usually known for my food posts on this here VK blog, so you might be wondering why I've been wittering on about my culinary endeavors; well, here's the reason why:


I've lusted after one of these mixers for years, but after a surprise bonus at work which was very long overdue, I decided to treat myself....and I don't regret it one bit. The mixer I had been using up until recently was my sister-in-law's old one, which works fine, but is sooooo noisy that it would beat Motorhead in the volume stakes! And I know which one I would rather hear turned up to 11!

After borrowing some baking books from the library, I've been putting the mixer through it's paces. The other week I made some chocolate and beetroot brownies to take into work and they went down a storm, so next time I think I'll make some more of this lavender shortbread and try it out on my guinea pigs colleagues.

8 comments :

  1. You're making me hungry, what delicious makes! That quiche looks particularly fabulous and well done on getting the mixer, it's a beauty! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come and eat at your house...........?
    Quiche and shortbread looks absolutely yummy!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the bonus! And I can't think of a better way to spend it, what a beauty! You've put her to great use already.

    So jealous, I think I need to do some more Kitchenaid stroking when I'm next in John Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the same one! It's been in my Kitchen for six weeks and I still pat it and tell him, I waited a long time for him to grace my counter top.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty blog post VK! All round to your house for tea then? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. indeed very tasty post! how delicous looks this? when can i come to eat with you?;)
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - looks like you've had a productive (and tasty day!) The lavender shortbread looks particularly yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, all of it!
    Send some over please ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...