Wednesday, 6 June 2012

You light up my life

The past few weeks have seemed to fly past in a blur what with one thing and another, so its nice to have a bit of 'me' time today; but before I get on with the therapeutic knitting and stitching, I thought I'd catch up with my neglected blog.

I haven't ventured out to a boot sale yet this year, which is unusual for me as I'm often up with the birds on a Sunday morning doing the rounds, either by myself or with Dad in tow. I have been nipping into the charity shops though and again, am quite often shocked by how much their clothes prices have risen in the past year. I saw a Primark top in one marked up for £8, which is the same if not more, than what you would have paid for it when new. I'm all for paying a fair price, but that is close to daylight robbery.

Anyway, enough of the moaning and onto the positives, like this 1970s resin lamp which I brought in a secondhand furniture  shop a couple of weeks ago. I'm not keen on the shade and will re-cover it with some VK style fabric when I find some - I reckon a bright 70s daisy pattern would be ideal.


A few days later I came across this jacket, which is smart enough for me to wear to work for those days when I'm office-bound and also some scarves. I'm thinking of turning the scarves into a top, but might wait until I find another rose print scarf to use instead of the geometric one.

 
The other week I had something happen to me that can only be described as synchronicity. You might remember that I'm a big fan of Ossie Clark's dresses from this post last year - so when I saw an autobiography by his former wife and design partner, Celia Birtwell, I knew I had to buy it.


It's a lovely book, absolutely full of Celia's distinctive felt-tip sketches and also includes dozens of photos, both personal and of the beautiful people wearing her's and Ossie's clothes in their heyday. So, guess what I came across a few days later?....


..okay, so it's only a 'Celia Birtwell for Topshop' dress not an original, but I was happy to find that its in my size and hardly worn. For me to have brought the book and only a few days later find this dress was such an odd thing and a perfect coincidence!

The knitting has taken a bit of a backseat too recently, although I did finish off Monkeychild's shrug, which for some reason has turned out a bit too short even though my tension was bang on. Oh well, it'll do for this year.

Guess who didn't want her photo taken?!
 BTW, before I sign off, I'd like to thank Hollie at The War Bride for passing on the Liebster Blog award. Thanks Hollie!

8 comments :

  1. The Celia Birtwell book looks like a lovely find, definitely a book I would like to flick through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes unfurtunately i have to agree with you, as it seems that thrift shopping is "socially more accepted and even fashionable" now they really rise the prices extremely, my mum and me were quite shocked when we went thriftshopping to a bigger city last week and saw the prices...
    well anyway how fabulous is the celia birtwell dress! it looks completely new!
    lucky you!
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your blog visit. Bournville was lovely.. as was Whitewick...well done on your excellent finds. I would love to find a Celia B dress that fitted. The diet continues! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. tried to leave a comment.. not sure it worked! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that lamp, it will be even better once you've tracked down some suitable groovy fabric. Those scarves and blouse are lovely and Monkeychild is so pretty despite her grumpy face! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the scarf with the roses in the blocks and monkeychild looks so sweet in her shrug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely lamp!
    :D

    http://meronchuw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...