Monday, 11 June 2012

Wychwood

It was lucky for us that the weather decided to have a brief pause from all the rain and wind on Saturday as we had day tickets to Wychwood Music Festival at Cheltenham Racecourse. Instead of monotonous drizzle we were treated to a lovely sunny day - perfect weather for a family day out.

I didn't know what to expect at Wychwood as I hadn't been to a festival for years. All I knew about it was that it was 'family friendly' and that Hawkwind were playing before the headliners, James. My previous festival CV comprises chilled out folk festivals like Cropredy and boozy, boisterous rock festivals where the mosh-pit is an absolute no-go area!

Wychwood turned out to be smaller than I had expected and was one of the most sanitary festivals I've ever been to! Even the toilets were clean, which was a shocker as I usually avoid those chemical loos as much as possible.

We arrived just in time to see Doctor and the Medics play; the last time I saw them was in a pub in Oxford in the late 80s! They played a great set of cover versions, but it was Hawkwind we were really looking forward to. After a wait for them to complete their soundcheck, Hawkwind launched into their set and they didn't disappoint with a mix of old classics and new songs.


Armed with some ear defenders for Monkeychild, we made our way down to the front and enjoyed the Hawkind experience complete with with dancers who Monkeychild enjoyed watching.


All in all, we had a great day out. Everyone was very friendly and the food stalls were brilliant; especially the  churros and chocolate sold from a classic Citroen van - I can highly recommend these, they're very moreish!

If the guest list for next year turns out to be as good as this year's, I think we might be making a return visit.

15 comments :

  1. Superb! So you didn't come back caked in crispy-mud-splattered clothing then? Did you get to wear one of your splendid maxi dresses for the occasion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wore a crimplene mini-dress instead teamed with denim shorts, tights, over knee socks and wellies - practicality won the day!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a smashing time, Monkey-child looked like a festival old hand, bless her!
    So many of my friends refuse to come to festivals because of the toilets but to be honest other than the really brash & commercial events like the hideous V Festival the loos are, by and large, absolutely fine.
    Hurrah for Hawkwind, indeed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm mentally scarred from experiencing the toilets at Donnington; it makes me feel sick remembering them - bleugh!

      Delete
    2. Oh god the toilets at Donnington were by far the worst I have EVER, EVER experienced!

      Did you often go to gigs in Oxford in the late 80's? we could have stood nest to each other in the crowd and never known it!

      Delete
    3. Erk, I remember Donnington too!

      Sounds like you had good fun, I really want to take the boys to a festival - maybe Bestival next year.

      Delete
    4. I don't think I actually went to the loo at Donington - if I did, my brain has blanked it out. Dr and the Medics still going? Crickey.

      Churros and hot chocolate to dip them in are breakfast food in Spain; whenever we're over there Mr Robot and I ignore hotel breakfrast and head out to find a churreria. It's a great way to see local life (and a tasty way to start the day).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun - glad the weather stayed find for you.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh.. festivals. I have not been to one in a loooong time :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to get my festival on. I do love a spot of Dr and the medics. Just found your blog through Vix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for your comment Louise and welcome!

      Delete
  6. Hi there sweetie, nice post :)
    There's a super GIVEAWAY going on at my blog and I thought you might be interested, know more at:

    http://blackbowtiie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/oasap-super-giveaway-of-152-items.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...