Friday, 15 June 2012

Meet the girls...


...there's Tilly & Milly, Warrior Mark II and Hortense.

These are the new additions to the VK household: four Isa Brown hens who are now about 20 weeks old. We've been planning on getting some chickens for years, but finally got round to it this year and I love them to bits.

Unfortunately one of the original hens, Warrior (Husband's choice of name), became egg-bound and she had to be humanely killed because there was nothing that could be done to help her. That was a shame as she was a favourite from the start. Anyway, we now have Warrior Mark II who is such a loveable cheeky bird.

Warrior Mark II

Hortense
They've all got their own little personalities; Warrior and Hortense are the most friendly and follow me around the garden. I've also taught them a trick called 'Chicken Up' where they perch on my lap to be fed treats. Tilly is not as friendly but soon joins in, whereas Milly has a bad chicken attitude. She's the one that runs away when I'm trying to get her into the run at night.

Bad attitude chicken
Cute fluffy bottoms!
They love a scratch around the garden

The girls are now laying an egg a day each, which is brilliant. They lay lovely brown speckled eggs and its great to be able to use them when cooking.

16 comments :

  1. How cute are your chickens? I love their fluffy bottoms. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have chickens one day! How lovely to have all those fresh eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. I'd like to get a bunch of hens that lay different colored eggs once we get a bigger place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egg and Soldiers for tea........?
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chickens! I used to keep them years ago, and I long for the day we can have chickens again. They're like little dogs, and totally do have personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect!
    Get that Marmite coated Soldiers and Egg for your breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They truely do have the most amazing frilly bottoms which any self-respecting can-can dancer would be proud of!;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! After visiting your blog, I invite you to join us in the "International Directory Blogspot"
    For this is the very simple, just follow our blog, enter your Country, your blog url, and you will automatically integrate into the Country list.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world to share with us the different passions, fashion, paintings, artwork, photos, poems and so be able to find in other countries people with similar passions.
    I think this community could also interest you.
    We ask that you follow the blog "Directory"
    Follow our blog gives you twice as many possibilities of visits to your blog! Thank you for your understanding
    Please follow our blog is very appreciate
    Have a great day with the hope that you follow our blog "Directory".
    After your approval to join us, you will receive your badge
    Regards
    Chris
    I follow your blog, I hope you'll like
    To find out, click on the link below:
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've always wanted to keep chickens - how lovely for you! collecting super fresh eggs from your own hens every day must be just wonderful - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh i love chickens, when i was little we had almost a small farm with chickens, goose, goats and sheeps;) it´s really wonderful now you can enjoy this delicious eggs and you can be sure they are from happy chickens;)
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely chucks, you can't beat a nice brown egg.
    Cate x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so exciting!! Very lovely chickens :) I want chickens so badly but there is a by-law against them in my town :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. So jealous, I'd love some chickens. Our friends have some battery rescue ones and the boys loved feeding and egg collecting. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very jealous of your lovely new Chickens, they are adorable, I'd loved to have some one day, though I do fear I would drive my self and my other half completely crazy with my constant renditions of the "lay a little egg for me" song :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww what adorable chickens! And how lucky to have fresh eggs.

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...