Monday, 23 April 2012

Ways with Wrapping Paper No. 2: it's not just for presents

Can you remember a while ago I mentioned that I was thinking of pasting up a paper patchwork design in Monkeychild's bedroom? Well, here's the fruits of my labour so to speak:



I had the idea from seeing the below photo in Selina Lake's recent book Homespun Style and thought that it would translate well onto the chimney breast in Monkeychild's room.


When it came to choosing the paper I decided to use sheets of wrapping paper as I thought that this would be cheaper and more economical than buying co-ordinating rolls of wallpaper, and I could achieve a really good mix of patterns and colours from the ranges available.

I found some lovely patterned wrapping paper in a local shop and choose the designs that I thought would complement each other and suit the existing walls, as well as appealing to a five year old's taste in decoration (thankfully she hasn't hit the dreaded Justin Beiber phase, so posters aren't an issue...yet!). If you're interested, I used designs by Petra Boase and Roger la Borde.

This was my first attempt at wallpapering and as I was using small sheets instead of manipulating a long roll, I found it easy to do. I choose to repeat the patterns in a traditional patchwork block design and overlapped them in places to hide the bar codes etc. One thing I will say though, is choose a quality weight of wrapping paper as this will tear less than using a paper sheet that's very thin.




So, for less than the price of a roll a designer wallpaper I've managed to give Monkeychild a bright and colourful feature wall, which has cheaply jazzed up her bedroom and appeals to my design sensibilities too.

Now that can't be bad!



16 comments :

  1. What a cracking idea. That looks fabulous VK - what was Monkey Child's verdict?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves it...luckily!

      P.S. Looking forwards to Friday!

      Delete
  2. ph gosh this looks so cute and fabulous! i´m sure you made someone the happiest girl on earth;)!!! really amazing this wallpapering!
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - looks fab!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a fantastic idea :) And a fabulous excuse for me to buy some of the lovely wrapping papers I've seen lately in Paperchase.

    You clever clever lady
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Its a fantastic idea!
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant! I love it, especially the hexagon patchwork paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is blooming amazing!! Well done you, i love it! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it looks fantastic- I’m ever so green eyed over Monkey Childs fireplace too!
    What a lucky young Miss.
    Tupney x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love warping paper I sometimes just seem to collect it!!! I save it from presents too!!! He he!!! Fliss xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks brilliant, don't worry about the onset of the poster phase...maybe after the experience of the forthcoming Wychwood Fest it'll be Hawkwind poster preference for wee Monkeychild ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a brilliant idea, glad that Monkeychild liked it. Baby Bird is moving into a new room soon and I've been looking for decorating ideas, might just give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, don't forget to post some photos of Baby Bird's room if you paper it.

      Delete
  12. This is brilliant - perfect for a little girl. I really want to sort out the boys' rooms (or possibly room, if they go in together) but need to find a look which doesn't centre around Star Wars or Ben 10 posters, but that they'll still enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absolutely brilliant - it's such a lot of fun decorating childrens rooms, isn't it?!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...