Monday, 30 April 2012

Portrait of a lady

Its been a while since I blogged about my finds, mainly because there hasn't been many; however, this post will fix that - starting with this...

Isn't she a winsome looking thing?

...a chalk figurine and quite tall, about 15 inches from the tip of her bonnet to the hem of her dress. I've never seen one like this, although I'm familiar with the child figures and the Alsatian dog chalk statues. Actually, it was the colour of her dress that drew my attention and it's a near perfect match to my kitchen walls! What I do like about her though, is the contrast between the 'butter wouldn't melt' expression on her face and the rather saucy low necklace exposing her chalky decolletage.


Changing the subject, I've brought some more dress patterns; they were 40p each so I couldn't quibble about that. I like the very vintage looking pinnys and the nighties look like a sewing possibility too:


A couple of years ago, I found a 1939 copy of the Girl's Own Annual at a boot sale; well, it's got a companion now: Volume 57 dating from 1936:

I love those gauntlets!

These are very weighty books; this copy has a total of 624 pages crammed full of stories of derring do led by plucky heroines with names like Nora, Nancy,  Daphne and Peggy. Here's a glimpse of their escapades:



Peggy had been reading 'The Well of Loneliness' too...

It also includes craft ideas such as Toy Animals are Always Popular and these natty make-overs:


I bet even Kirsty hasn't thought of this!

And don't forget about those sporting tips: Lacrosse Stickwork Practice and how to perfect that double dive...

I don't think Husband and I will be attempting the 'double dive' at the local Lido!

...etiquette: Please Play Fair - "When you are invited to tea by your friend I am quite sure you will wipe your shoes before entering" [the usual good manners you'd expect] "....You wouldn't dream of chipping and damaging your friend's furniture and woodwork with a pocket knife or carving your initials on the bookcase..." [what! these 'naice' girls carried knives?!] and finally those all important cookery recipes; Camilla's Cooking - Home-made Ginger Beer. Wizard!

All stirring stuff indeed for the young lady of the Thirties and enough of the printed word to keep a schoolgirl bookworm occupied throughout the year.

Finally, I'll leave you with this snippet of information from the Girls Own annual, which still rings true for knitters some seventy-five years later:

19 comments :

  1. Blimey, she'd be in Heat magazine in a second these days - the 'ring of shame' around her nipple slippage!

    Love old annuals - I have several 20s and 30s ones and they crack me up. Isn't Gladys Spratt (the editor) just the best name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Talk about her 'cups runneth over'!

      'Our Glad' sounds like she should be the wife of the local fishmonger!!

      Delete
  2. I love your lady and the annuals. The light shade food protector is a genius idea. I love the names Daphne and Nancy - they should make a come-back.

    Btw, meant to say, Monkeychild's patchwork wall, looks fabulous. Excellent idea to use good quality wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That annual looks like brilliant fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a picture of my granddad and a friend double diving, the only exception is, is that they are top to toe…. The mad man!

    I love the young lady too- I found a early thirties plaster lampshade in the shape of a crin lady- a little less saucy than yours though!

    tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the book - these old annuals are wonderful! Figurine is so saucy!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re Cakes They still have the Fondant French Fancies in lovely pastel colours.
    Your books look like a good read, can you imagine children now reading them ?
    nothing much on the treasure finding here as well
    cate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I loved those kinds of books as a kid, and clearly still would! Want one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the 40p patterns, and I love those kind of books and annuals, I totally devoured them growing up. I hope children today still read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i especialy envy you for those gorgous patterns, i´m always looking for vintage patterns too but here it´s really hard to find :(
      love and kiss,mary

      Delete
  9. Love the patterns but the clown on the far left looks a bit creepy doesn't he? Old annuals are a hoot when you look at them from our modern day perspective but I bet they were pored over on Christmas morning all those years ago. And, working in a nursing home I know a Nora,a Nancy and two Peggys. Lovely old names!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The plaster floosie - what a brilliant find! I actually snorted out loud when I saw the photo of the 'double dive' - I had to re-read that section to make sure you hadn't revealed a new hobby...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're too lucky to have found this book... I'll love to have one too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What stunning illustrations, I love the health and fitness pictures. The patterns are a great find, too. I've got a very similar plaster lady to yours, but much tattier. I think they were fairground prizes once upon a time (much less cruel than a goldfish!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about fairground prizes, Vix. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  13. oh darling i just received the patterns!!!! and they are all A M A Z I N G!!! i just don´t know now with which one i will start;)i like especially the dresses, this one with the chinese touch and the other ones with the flared skirt are gorgous! oh thank you so much darling. this was sooooo kind and nice of you!!!! i could kiss and hug you now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, glad u like them Mary xxx

      Delete
  14. Great finds. I would love to buy vintage patterns but I wouldnt know what to do with them. I need sewing lessons ASAP.

    Sophia
    http://lasophialasophia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That lady statue is beautiful! I have one similar back at my mums house but her nose has broken off! also I just wanted to let you know I've nominated your blog for the Liebster blog award on my page! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...