Thursday, 15 March 2012

Granny Chic

Let me introduce you to my latest charity shop bargain - a delightful flower print by Vernon Ward:




Brought yesterday, I've given the frame a clean up with some sugar soap and today have hung it up in our front room, whilst Husband is at work. No doubt it'll get the same reception from him as the table did at the weekend, but he's been with me for long enough now to know that my interior style is heavily flavoured with a good dose of 'Granny Chic' as he calls it with tongue firmly in cheek.

I love Vernon Ward's floral pictures; they all look as thought they were styled by that grand dame of flower arranging, Constance Spry.

source
I reckon that a group of these floral prints would look stunning all hung together on our currently bare landing wall. Although I'm a big fan of Ward's flower paintings, I'm not too keen on his bird ones. However, I do like his calm looking swan paintings awash with blue and green tones and am on the look out for the right one to hang in the bathroom.

Talking of rooms, Monkeychild's needs a bit of updating this year. I'm going to stick with its current pale pink walls and gold picture rails as they're still in good condition and I don't want to fork out lots of time, effort and money repainting the whole room when it doesn't need it. I've got some ideas involving paper patchwork effects for one wall, but need to keep an eye out for some good graphic designs that suit the current colour scheme. I'll keep you all updated when it starts to progress later on this year.

14 comments:

  1. Love the picture
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the bird pictures, I do love this find! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's lovely. I struggle with some of the spooky kid art people like, but flowers are all good (usually!)

    ***To those I follow and who follow me - is my blog appearing on your dashboard? Blogger appears to be losing some blogs I follow!**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Constance Spry was aces. She's not one of my style icons, but she's definitely a lifestyle icon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty picture. I'm a sucker for a retro print in a white frame. I quite like his seaside pictures but they need a beach location to do them justice. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pic, VK. What a find. Oddly, I've promised my daughter a room makeover (she wants to get rid of her pink walls - hoorah!) and we were talking about a patchwork wall for one of the walls. Not quite sure of what at the moment, need to do some research. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Vernon Ward's flower paintings...they are so evocative. A top find indeed.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab picture! Have been looking for one for ages - don't seem to see them in charity shops here.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Btw, I've tagged you, hope you don't mind. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing painting darling! i want some flower or fruit print painting for our entrance hall too!
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pretty floral painting! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bonnie picture.
    Can I ask a silly question, you mentioned that you cleaned the frame with sugar soap, what's sugar soap?
    Is it a mixture?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Snap Happy

VintageKnitter. Get yours at bighugelabs.com