Saturday, 10 March 2012

Back in black

Hmmm, looks like there's a theme to my recent post titles!

This time it's applicable to this 1970s dress that I brought today. There's no maker's label in it, but as soon as I tried it on I knew that it would be coming home with me. It's 100% polyester with a diamante trim around the cut-out neckline. I know this fabric isn't the fabric of choice for some, but in my opinion polyester is a winner: easy to care for, dries quickly and drapes beautifully - what more can you ask for?

 

Actually, today has been a great day for finds. A Picquot Ware teapot has been on my wish-list for quite a while, so finding this so soon after I'd brought the dress brought another smile to my face. I often use my Woods Ware Beryl teapot for a brew, but after giving this one a clean I'll be looking forwards to pouring my first cup of Assam from it. 

Ah, life's simple pleasures.


And on the subject of pleasures, look what else I brought today from the same shop that I found the Singer in:


This dinky table is just the perfect size to use in the front room to put the cuppa on instead of putting it on the floor and accidentally kicking it over when I forget that it's there.

The look on Husband's face when he saw me carrying it up the road was classic; however his flippant remark about using it for firewood was promptly ignored!

With a polish, the table would be perfectly serviceable, but it's going to have a VK make-over. I stopped off at B&Q and picked up a few paint shade cards on the way home as I'm going to paint the table in either gloss or satin paint. I had thought of going for a shocking pink, but am now leaning more towards turquoise; either 'Minted Glory 5' or 'Grecian Spa 2'. What do you reckon I should go for?


Last, but by no means least, I have to say 'Cheers' to the folk at Craft Corners craft blog for featuring my blog in their Best of the Web No.11 feature. Nice one - thanks guys.

15 comments :

  1. The table is gorgeous - I have one very similar but mine was made by my dad!
    The dress is lovely - least you was able to purchase it!
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great finds. I love the dress and your table should look brilliant when it's had its makeover.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Minted Glory - what a smashing name! Those shades would look super with a pink china tea cup & saucer balanced on top...
    (hoorah, Blogger is letting me play & comment today!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top finds! That dress is lovely, it suits you beautifully. I like Grecian Spa 2 myself, the table will look fab after a makeover.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the Polyester-lovers Anon club too. It seems like a guilty secret sometimes.
    I like the table top as it is, how about painting just the band underneath or the legs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh love your dress, looks fab on! My gran had one of those teapots, just got a flashback to clinking the lid up and down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress it's amazing.Personally I wouldn't paint the table but that is exactly that, my personal taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new dress, and I think you're spot on about polyester.
    That's a lovely tea pot, I'd stop using tea bags if I had one as nice.
    And on your sweet little table, I'd go for Grecian Spa 2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Table was a great find and the dress is so pretty!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me it is Minted Glory, no question

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rock that frock! You look fabulous in it and it fits to perfection, too.
    I've been eyeing up an identical table in Banardos for a couple of weeks, I can't wait to see what you do with yours, those legs are such a lovely shape. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What superb finds I just love the dress! and your right polyester is fab, the non iron quality sells it to me straight out the gate (I hate ironing). I think I would definitely go for Minted glory 5 its such a delicious colour! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this maxidress is really a black dream darling!!! and it looks divine on you!!! also love your hair, it is especially beautiful in this picture. seems that was a great day for finds;)
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous dress - you look like a 70s rock goddess! I vote for turquoise, gorgeous x

    ***To those I follow and who follow me - is my blog appearing on your dashboard? Blogger appears to be losing some blogs I follow!***

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...