Saturday, 25 February 2012

Black beauty

This has to be my best chazza shop buy so far this year (and Lord knows there haven't been many!)...


...a Singer 99K sewing machine and what a gleaming beauty she is.

I chanced upon her a couple of days ago in a Red Cross furniture shop. Mr. Red Cross Man said that the machine had been tested for both electrical safety and whether it worked (which it did), and that I had thirty days to take it back if I wasn't happy with it. You can't get fairer than that I thought, so I handed him the money and lugged it back to the car, hoping that it would work.

Now, I've learned a lesson from this particular shop: if you see something you want - buy it straight away or else if you leave it, it'll be gone when you change your mind and next go back to the shop (this applies to a 1950s china cabinet that I 'ummed' and 'ahhed' about and lost to my indecision).

I couldn't wait to try the machine out when I got home; I threaded it up, plugged it in and bingo! It worked perfectly and the motor hummed happily away - unlike the loud clatter my modern cheapo one makes as it reluctantly sews a seam.



After finding the machine's serial number and doing a bit of research on the web, I've found out that it dates from 1960. There is a busy online community for vintage sewing machines and it appears that the 99k is a popular model; you can easily get spares and I've even downloaded a free handbook for this model too. Once I get some new needles and give her a clean and oil, I'll have to put her through her paces.

Hmmm, what shall I sew next...perhaps the maxi skirt in red crimplene?


P.S.
Hello and welcome aboard to all you new Followers; I hope you enjoy reading my ramblings!
:-D

29 comments :

  1. Oh WOW - what an amazing find! You were in the right place at the right time. So glad that it still works - these things were made to last. Ab fab!!!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learnt to machine sew on one of those! My granny had the exact same one! And guess what I made that same skirt on it in light brown crimpeline!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly is a beauty! What a find x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, well I never! What coincidences :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these sewing machines, I have a manual Singer machine, she's very pretty! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent find...
    I love vintage machines too... I am the proud rescue owner of a little Frister+Rossman cub4 and an even older Bernina 530-2 both from the early 60's.
    The stories they could all tell...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I weep with jealousy. I am ALWAYS looking for a Singer after I found out my Nan gleefully, and unwittingly, too HER grandmothers "down the tip". She was mortified when she found out I had been banking on it as an heirloom. Weep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks better in Black, machines et al

    Great find, looks in immaculate nick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic...a properly good find. You can't beat an old machine. I've got a couple of 1950's Singers as well as an older manual one and a thirty year old Bernina, and they never let me down. Happy sewing!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful machine, and in such good condition! Can't wait to see what you create on her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow awesome find, its gorgeous! I tagged you in a post over at my blog if you feel like giving it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous machine - much more substantial than a modern one. You'll have to polish it every week!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lucky you are!

    Not only do you have a machine that does the job, it's so decorative too, unlike modern ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's fantastic, so pretty and very you. Hope it goes on another 50 years!

    ***Faith Hope and Charity Shopping first blogiversary giveaway open now***

    ReplyDelete
  15. OoH, she is a BEAUTY VK! Lucky find indeed. And, hey, look at me finally able to leave you a comment again! Double hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! they are such works of art, aren't they? I've inherited two of them, currently masquerading as doorstops as I find working with them a nightmare.
    Red crimplene maxi? Oh yes! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great find - she is gleaming! The old ones are definitely better than the newer plastic models. Happy sewing!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you seen the Singer Stand I have in the garden (used to hold my plants?) Penny spotted your lovely sewing machine, that is awesome even though I don't like sewing.

    Is it Bath Road you found that amazing find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. You can pick up some nice bits and bobs from there.

      Delete
  19. She is just so lovely! I have two (one from the 50's and one from the 30's) and I am planing in a very near future to get the 50's one serviced so I can use it. It works properly but needs a good old clean and all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a beauty! I can't wait to see what you create with your new machine :)
    Best wishes,
    R xx

    http://rebecca-daydreambeliever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowser she is a beauty! Fabulous find hun :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow indeed! What a find! Love how those old machines are beautiful objects as well as so functional. You don't get that with the modern white plastic electric monstrosities.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh gosh what a beautiful baby you have found!!! black and in all her beauty to admire her, i wish i could find a still working one like that too, they are real treasures and not comparable with the modern ones.
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would collect sewing machines at the drop of a hat if I had the space. The first thing I bought with my first wage packet was a 1910 Singer and I made everything on it up until about ten years ago when my mother bought me a fancy electric one which is a delight. I also have a treadle machine and a 1950s Children's Sew-ette. And no visible carpet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...