Friday, 18 November 2011

Keeping it in the family

It's been a great week for adding to my vintage knitting pattern collection. Firstly, the lovely Wend aka Ticking Stripes sent me a parcel of patterns, which includes this bird design:


Although I wouldn't knit the cardie in that style, I think I'll use the bird chart for knitting up a bag, as that will be really eye catching. Here's the rest of the patterns - there's a few classics in there!


Thank you Wend for these; its very kind of you, and if you can email me your address, I've got a little something to post to you in return. :-)

Although I've been on the charity shop prowl over these past few weeks, I haven't found much to show you. My only recent buys are from this week, as I found some more patterns...


...and a groovy floral sheet. I'll be using this on Monkeychild's bed, although if you pop over to see Loo at Jumbles and Pompoms you'll find that she's a vintage sheet fan too and has got an excellent plan for her sheet stash.


Another find was this fire screen. Made by Patrician Art Products probably in the 50s, it has Vernon Ward print pasted to it. Husband shuddered at it's "grannyness", but its not going anywhere - apart from in front of our ash strewn fireplace!


A year ago, I came across a lot of 70s fabric at a boot sale, most of which has remained hidden within my fabric stash. However, I recently gave some of the winceyette to Mum to see what she could make with it. Mum made the majority of my clothes when I was little and is a very dab hand at sewing. Although she gave a lot of her dress patterns away to friends and family over the years, she's kept some of the ones from the '70s that she brought to make my clothes. So, she dug out one for a dressing gown and ran up this cosy little number for Monkeychild:



Mum had enough material to make the dressing gown, apart from the hood lining. Luckily, she found some  winceyette that was left over from a nightie made for me when I was a toddler and used this for the lining. See, like mother like daughter - we never throw any material away!

13 comments :

  1. I do like the bird image on the cardie. That's an excellent idea about making a bag with the design. Loving the sheet (of course) and the stupendous (this happens to be my word of the day today) fire screen (nowt wrong with grannyness in my book).

    You have a talented set of parents, may I say, what with your dad and his carpentry skills and your mum with her sewing. My mum was a great dress maker and knitter - shame I didn't inherit those skills.

    Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very clever mum! I have been collecting flanelettes for a while now and am going to "launch" into a quilt soon. It's a lovely dressing gown and I'm sure it will be treasured. Hope to see you December 3rd in Chipping Sodbury?
    hen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea to use the bird design for a bag, you are a knitting genius. What a fab treat.
    Your Mum is clever, that dressing gown is adorable. Hoorah for fabric hoarding.
    I'm sure I have the matching magazine rack to your fire screen in one of our outbuildings, it looks so familiar! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dressing gown! Far prettier than anything I ever owned made of winceyette. Your Mum is a marvel VK. Your resourcefulness onbviously does run in the family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...unlike my crazy spelling! OOps :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the fact that this the fabric has stayed in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow i love this swallow knit!!! oh and your mum is really a wiz on the sewing machine, the dressing gown is so supercute!
    wish you a fantastic weekend my dear!
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet to pass the fabric down in garments through the family, Monkeychild has such a clever mum and gran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also a big vintage knitting pattern fan....read them like novels/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your mum as so clever! Brilliant! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, good hat knitting patterns.

    That dressing gown is so cute. I bet Monkeychild looks adorable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Winceyette is such an evocative name and strangely camp. Gorgeous dressing gown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to catch up with your blog after a busy few weeks.. I fear we may have missed saying hello again today! I think you were at the V&hm fair?? Lizzie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...