Monday, 26 September 2011

Glitz, Glamour & Red Lipstick


It's not very often that I do a 'What I Wore' post, so I thought I'd pull one together for Saturday night's events, which was the culmination of five months planning to organise a friend's hen night. We decided to to go with a 'Glitz, Glamour & Red Lipstick' theme as our friend loves a bit of glam and always wears red lipstick on nights out, so we though it would be a bit of a tribute to her. We requested that the attendees were to dress with glamour in mind and wear the obligatory red lippy; although everyone was dressed up to the nines, only the Hen and I were wearing said lipstick which was a bit of a shame.

Anyway, I decided to go for all out glam and wore my favourite dress - an 'Ossie Clark for Radley' moss crepe maxi. I brought it back in the 1990s from a wonderful, but now closed down, vintage shop in Hay-on-Wye called 'The Hay Gallery'. I used to visit this shop a lot and brought quite a few things from there; it was a real treasure trove of 1920s shoes, Victorian petticoats, 1930s tea dresses and tiny Biba mini dresses. During one visit I noticed this dress and being an admirer of Clark's work I just had to try it on. Luckily it fitted like a glove and although it cost about £36, I thought it was worth every penny.


I love the way the bell sleeves drape down over the cuff, which buttons up tightly around the wrist...


1940s Corde clutch: £4, charity shop - nail polish: Chanel 'Peridot', present from friend
...and look at those winged collars - so Seventies, and those covered buttons and loops  frequently appear in  Clark's designs.

Indian silver earrings - a present from Dad
I 'ummed' and 'ahhed' about whether to wear my metallic brown '70s platforms, but finally decided to wear a pair of suede peep-toes that I brought a few months ago.

Carvela shoes - £27 from eBay
Sadly, I think my days of picking up an Ossie Clark dress for under fifty quid are long gone, however nothing would ever induce me to sell this as it's going to get passed down to Monkeychild when she's of an age to appreciate it.

16 comments :

  1. You lucky thing! What a find and totally glorious on you, too. I love the shoes and I'm kicking myself for flogging the brown version of that Corde bag last year. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun night out. Those shoes are so sweet and I love the red lips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic dress! You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy is your dress gorgous!!! i love those sleeves, i also made a dress with sleeves like that!!! you look so fabulous in it!
    love and kiss,mary

    http://maryloucinnamon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant find! And the shoes are cool too. How wad the hen night? Did you all end up in a boozy, yet glamourous mess?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh it is lush! I love the buttons on the sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look totally fabulous! What a shame only two of you wore red lippy though - its a total must in my make-up bag - just means you both were even more amazing. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  8. VK, you look totally amazing. It's such a beautiful dress and I love the sleeves too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that's a beauty of a dress. A friend of mine got married in a very similar Ossie Clark number. Love those covered buttons & loops...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Stunning pics - you look fabulous. Love the whole look, and yes, sadly I don't think any of us will be picking up Ossie Clark for that price any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look ever so glam in that outfit You must do more outfits posts

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a glamorous dress, you look totally fab!! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous dress, I love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So impressive that you can fit into a dress you bought in the 90's I wish I could do that.

    Hope you had a great night out and the "hen" enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning! You look fabulous. The Ozzy dress is a classic and well worth the money. I have a black 1980's Diane Von Furstenberg dress which I got free when a friend was chucking it out and it is staying put in my wardrobe!I would NEVER be seen on a night out without my red lippy :)
    Tickety-boo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just thinking "wow that's a lovely dress!" when I noticed you said it was an Ossie Clark. Lucky you!! Dresses with belled sleeves and buttoned cuffs are just so gorgeous and classy. I love Ossie Clark and Biba dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog; I do enjoy reading each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...